Psychiatric APRN's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How well trained are psychiatric APRN's in psychotherapy? It seems that I keep getting conflicting information.

A lot say that psychiatric APRN's have minimal training in psychotherapy. How are they authorized to provide psychotherapy then if their training is minimal?

Members don't see this ad.

How well trained are psychiatric APRN's in psychotherapy? It seems that I keep getting conflicting information.

A lot say that psychiatric APRN's have minimal training in psychotherapy. How are they authorized to provide psychotherapy then if their training is minimal?

Last time I checked it was the relationship between the patient and provider rather than a certain "brand" of therapy that is most effective. I don't like manualized therapies but they are probably better if you're doing research. I think therapists who use CBT, for example, will tend to look at everyone in that framework versus a therapist who is just creative and "accepts" the patient as he is. But then, this is coming from a person who's therapist wore shorts and sandals, shook me by my shoulders and called me a bad name. Turns out he was very effective.

But they are also authorized because the board of nursing and laws say they can. So, suck it up jackwagon! Want a tissue?

Last time I checked it was the relationship between the patient and provider rather than a certain "brand" of therapy that is most effective. I don't like manualized therapies but they are probably better if you're doing research. I think therapists who use CBT, for example, will tend to look at everyone in that framework versus a therapist who is just creative and "accepts" the patient as he is. But then, this is coming from a person who's therapist wore shorts and sandals, shook me by my shoulders and called me a bad name. Turns out he was very effective.

But they are also authorized because the board of nursing and laws say they can. So, suck it up jackwagon! Want a tissue?

I have no idea what this paragraph was even getting at lol, excuse my ignorance.

Depends on the program and clinical training of the psych NP. If the psych NP is attending a program that used to have a psych CNS track, they typically have heavier therapy training (I attended this type of program). It can really vary, but most psych NPs should be competent in providing supportive therapy, maybe MI. The psych NPs that I know who do a lot of therapy typically attend workshops/outside training after graduating to become more competent at CBT/DBT skills/IPT/what-have-you. I know one psych NP who is part of a DBT team, she loves it.