psychiatric NP vs clinical social worker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

Aside from the fact that a psych aprn can prescribe medications in addition to therapy whereas a social worker can only do therapy, what else can a psych NP do than a clinical social worker can't.

Is there anything a clinical social worker can do that a Psych NP can't?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A psych NP assesses, diagnoses, and treats mental health problems. This includes prescribing medication and providing psychotherapy. How competent you are at conducting psychotherapy will depend on your program's curriculum and clinical opportunities. Also, as an NP you also can go into other areas within nursing (teaching, research, management, etc.) They are pretty different roles. Lastly, psych NPs make far more money than LCSWs and there are more jobs.

A psych NP assesses, diagnoses, and treats mental health problems. This includes prescribing medication and providing psychotherapy. How competent you are at conducting psychotherapy will depend on your program's curriculum and clinical opportunities. Also, as an NP you also can go into other areas within nursing (teaching, research, management, etc.) They are pretty different roles. Lastly, psych NPs make far more money than LCSWs and there are more jobs.

Is there anything an LCSW can do that a psych aprn can't?

Members don't see this ad :)
Make $75000 less per year.

Reactions: 1 users
I assumed they made $75,000, but the Interweb says they make $50-60k average. That sounds about right for the ones that work with me. The psyche NPs that work at my hospital, as well as my friend, make >$125,000. My buddy won't tell me exactly what he makes, but he confirmed a range I put in front of him. The psyche NPs that are also cross trained as family nurse practitioners make even more than that because they can manage patients comorbidities more effectively. I guess there is a dearth of mental health providers out there right now.

Aside from the fact that a psych aprn can prescribe medications in addition to therapy whereas a social worker can only do therapy, what else can a psych NP do than a clinical social worker can't.

Is there anything a clinical social worker can do that a Psych NP can't?

Well, the NP does a more medically-oriented evaluation and it's generally shorter in duration, surprisingly, than the initial diagnostic evaluation of a SW. You'll work with biology and examine for medical causes of psychiatric disorders, you'll examine physiologic measures such as ht/wt, vital signs, labs, EKG, brain imaging, etc. And you'll generally refer all therapy to therapists. You'll have therapeutic dialogue with your patients and be credentialed to engage in psychotherapy (with vastly limited training), but the supply and demand warrants your prescription pad as there are multitudes of people who can engage in talk therapy.

The social workers do therapy, the LPCs do therapy, the MFTs do therapy, and the psychologists do therapy. Other than psychometrics and some neuropsych stuff for the psychologists I really have no clue what, if any, of the differences are in the therapeutic modalities of each school of therapy or academic preparation. Granted, CBT is CBT, etc.

If it matters, you'll likely make 2.5-3x the income as a prescriber over a talker. There's actually nothing you'll be credentialed to do as a social worker that you technically couldn't do as a NP (therapy), however, you generally won't be well trained in therapy. I only had one semester of psychotherapy training and frankly have no desire to make a living engaging in psychotherapy. However, I do enjoy helping patients muster their resources, so to speak, and give them a little therapeutic insight.

The psychiatrists in my facility are very well compensated. They aren't making 150-200k.... They make a lot more than that. The NPs in psych here easily make 130.... Without trying. There is a shortage of mental health providers, and NPs are independent. A lot of them contract out with multiple facilities because they can do so. Many psychiatrists love the flexibility of being able to farm out some of their workload free and clear to free them up, and will pay well for that. There's plenty of business to go around, and a huge need. My friend possibly pulls in as much as lower paid physicians.