• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
As an incoming P1 student this fall, I realize that the next four years are going to fly by before I know it. I'm working in a retail pharmacy right now, but realize that retail pharmacists don't really use their clinical skills at all. I am the type of person who loves to not only learn, but to actually apply the material/information I have in real world situations. As each work day passes, I realize the stereotypical retail pharmacist who is limited to dispensing is true. Undoubtedly, pharmacists also have to make sure medications are in stock, deal with insurance companies, and be wary of possible drug interactions in their patients. However, I feel that the application of their knowledge is really limited and after working in retail, I realize I absolutely hate insurance companies. Considering all of this and the fact that I love applying what i learn, I am giving some thought to completing a residency 4 years from now. Specifically, I'd like to specialize in psychiatric pharmacy and be a leading expert in the use of psychiatric drugs and their effects on the central nervous system. I would love to have an exciting opportunity working in this specific branch of pharmacy, such as in a psychiatric/mental institution. Retail doesn't seem so satisfying and I hate working for BS corporate people who know absolutely nothing about a pharmacy and whose only interest is making a profit. F that. How long does it take to complete a residency in general? For psychiatric pharmacy, how long will I have to complete a residency for? What is a residency all about? Does it consist of more lectures, class work, additional educational expenses, etc...? :thumbup:

About the Ads

Allure

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
You will learn more about it once you're in pharmacy school. You'll have a chance to go to the midyear meeting and learn even more about it. It used to be only 1 year, but now you can do up to 2 years. First year is more general and second year focuses more what you want to do. If psychiatry is what you want to do, then try to get a rotation for that on your last year. A lot of people really change their minds once they're in pharmacy school, so don't limit yourself. Explore all of the options. For residency, I think you have to do a lot of projects and presentations.

DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Hey, thanks for the advice, allure. Guess i'll learn more about it once i'm in the program. Are you in pharmacy school?

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
All pharmacists use their clinical skills. You just might not notice it. Of course if the retail pharmacist doesnt really use it because he is burned out, that is another story. But then again, a burned out clinical pharmacist might not be clinical either (I ve seen a couple). I think it is what we make out of it. I am 25 percent clinical and 50 percent other in retail.

PS. In order to be a clinical pharmacists now a days, you need two years residency. A one year residency (where you are more generalized) really doesnt get you anywhere. You might also want to look into BCPS certification.

mattc_85

Call me Jeffrey
10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Residency is more intense "on the job" type training. In order to do a psych. residency you have to complete a general PGY1 residency. So you are looking at 2 years after graduation. There are several options out there but like people said before, try to keep your options open at the moment, pharmacy is a big field. If you want more information ASHP has an online directory of accredited residencies.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
As an incoming P1 student this fall, I realize that the next four years are going to fly by before I know it. I'm working in a retail pharmacy right now, but realize that retail pharmacists don't really use their clinical skills at all. I am the type of person who loves to not only learn, but to actually apply the material/information I have in real world situations.

Already the little expert. Shoot, since you know it all why not skip pharmacy school and go straight into retail. After all you don't use any of the knowledge you gained in pharmacy school.

DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Already the little expert. Shoot, since you know it all why not skip pharmacy school and go straight into retail. After all you don't use any of the knowledge you gained in pharmacy school.

Wow, this thread is from last year...didn't even remember it. :eek: Anyway, mountain, I said that last year based on what numerous retail pharmacists have told me repeatedly- that is that they do not use most of the knowledge acquired in pharmacy school and have in fact forgotten most of it. And pardon my choice of words...at the time, I wrote they do not use their clinical skills "at all" ; what I truly meant to say was that they seem to use only a limited skill set/knowledge base for all the studying one has to go through in pharmacy school. I think it's pretty safe to assume hospital pharmacists completing rounds with physicians, etc.. really use more of what they learned in their professional years. So, mountain, you tell me...

Last edited:

RNtoPharmD

Love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Any psychiatric pharmacists here?
Even though pharmacists won't perform psychotherapy and diagnose like NP or psychologists, I heard that this is one of the few specialties in pharmacy where pharmacists have opportunities to interact with patients (beside retails).

What types of patient interaction are available for pharmacists here in this specialty? Are we still working behind-the-science for the most part?

DAW2

Professional Pill Repackager
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
i interned at a psychiatric hospital...honestly...all we did was dispense in some locked up room

...and it was a supposed clinical rotation

Last edited:

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
post_old.gif
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.