PhD/PsyD Psychiatrist "not providing therapy" on livestream

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Special population, sure, but not one that needs their own dedicated treatments. I also would think that you could categorize the people you mentioned in other special groups (alt right or right wing extremists, incels, etc). I mean, anyone who plays video games is a gamer, despite what the online community thinks.

I think there might be the distinction between problematic gaming behavior and those who game. The former may need treatment while the latter do not.

(Edit: Not supporting what K is doing, but internet gaming disorder is becoming a thing if it's not already a thing).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there might be the distinction between problematic gaming behavior and those who game. The former may need treatment while the latter do not.

Agreed, I just wonder if what we'd define as problematic gaming behavior would be limited solely to the "gamer" identity or other identities. For instance, I'm in an online anime fandom with men who exhibit the same behaviors you describe, but they aren't necessarily gamers.

The exception would be, of course, if the issue is solely video game addiction (which I know is a controversial idea in itself).

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, I just wonder if what we'd define as problematic gaming behavior would be limited solely to the "gamer" identity or other identities. For instance, I'm in an online anime fandom with men who exhibit the same behaviors you describe, but they aren't necessarily gamers.

The exception would be, of course, if the issue is solely video game addiction (which I know is a controversial idea in itself).
Yeah, when I think about the gaming community broadly, the subgenres will be very different too. The folks who are really into high fantasy rpgs and have problematic behavior seem pretty different than the ones in the online shooter communities. There is definitely overlap, but I think more about what need is being fulfilled by a type of game rather than the love of games. It's less the "what" and more the "why?" If video games didn't exist, they would likely still be struggling and meeting the need elsewhere. Anyone who has played D&D knows it attracts interesting characters. Or Warhammer. Or Magic the Gathering.

Reactions: 1 user
@tr I don’t think I answered your question about teaching in a systematic way because I actually haven’t really thought it through before.
In general, I meet them where they are at in their professional development as a clinician and help them to grow through that process. It starts with their self-assessment of strengths and weaknesses and what they see as areas for growth and then I will also outline for them the usual trajectory of integrating theory and didactic information to conceptualizing to intervention. I tend to start with straight up reflective listening skills from Rogers as I believe that is a good foundation, then I squash the desire to give advice or problem solve. The next phase is to start conceptualizing and figuring out what is going on based on their own theoretical orientation and with input from myself and a lot of Socratic type of dialog. Then I have to squash the desire to share that brilliant info with the client immediately without laying the groundwork and assessing readiness. Aha! That’s how is how I stop the beard stroker development right then and there! I knew I was doing something right.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users