Psychiatry Fellowship for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Njdevils30

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently noticed that there was a family medicine psychiatry fellowship. Does this training allow you to work in a psychiatry unit in the hospital?
 
I recently noticed that there was a family medicine psychiatry fellowship. Does this training allow you to work in a psychiatry unit in the hospital?
No, not typically. It's a fellowship to allow for more training to use in treatment of Behavioral health in the outpatient setting.

To be an attending/staff in an inpatient psychiatric unit, you'd need psychiatric residency. You could try applying sequentially for a psychiatric residency after completing FM, or if you are still in med school, you could apply for the FM-psych combined programs.
 
I recently noticed that there was a family medicine psychiatry fellowship. Does this training allow you to work in a psychiatry unit in the hospital?
Outpatient psych mostly But you get a lot more comfortable managing antidepressants and antipsychotics
Also you hone your psych interview skills
Even then I would recommend it’s always best to have a back up psychiatrist for the very difficult cases. I would not market myself as a psychiatrist by any means even after such a fellowship,