Psychiatry in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ericokle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canada's Health System Draws Mixed Reviews from Psychiatrists

by Joan Arehart-Treichel

Although Canadian psychiatrists generally express satisfaction with their government-run health insurance program, not all are happy with the impact of the government's control over hospitals and medical education.

Suppose you awakened one morning and discovered that you could care for your psychiatric patients in whatever manner you deemed best—even by providing lengthy psychoanalysis—and that you would be reimbursed for your efforts by simply submitting a bill. No managedcare exclusions or precertification hassles.

You might think that you had died and gone to heaven, but what's more likely is that you simply relocated to Canada where such seemingly luxurious perks of the government-run universal health insurance program are routine.

[...]

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/43/9/4

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much do psychiatrists in Canada make? I had always heard that it would be exceedingly difficult for a US educated physician to pay back his/her loans working in Canada. Not that I am planning on relocating there, but I have always wondered if that's true or not

How much do psychiatrists in Canada make? I had always heard that it would be exceedingly difficult for a US educated physician to pay back his/her loans working in Canada. Not that I am planning on relocating there, but I have always wondered if that's true or not

I think it varies from location to location, a friend of mine(American trained) who is working in ontario provice mentioned by working moderate hours one can easily earn around 200000 To 300000 canadian $. Also the intensity and liability of work is less than USA. I am planing to visit and get more first hand knowledge how canadian system works and possibly move to canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Canadian psychiatrists deserve this amount of $$ because the average person in Canada is more unstable than normal and seems to say "Ay", "melk", and "a boot" so much. That would drive anyone nuts after a day. :D

I think Canadian psychiatrists deserve this amount of $$ because the average person in Canada is more unstable than normal and seems to say "Ay", "melk", and "a boot" so much. That would drive anyone nuts after a day. :D

And that's less annoying than a "Joisey" accent? :rolleyes:

(I miss my CBC.)

And that's less annoying than a "Joisey" accent? :rolleyes:

(I miss my CBC.)

Damn it! How can I counter attack if you wont even declare which state you are in.... other than being in the state of denial about the coolness of New Joisey! :laugh: