Psychiatry in Canada

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Ericokle, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ericokle

Canada's Health System Draws Mixed Reviews from Psychiatrists

by Joan Arehart-Treichel

Although Canadian psychiatrists generally express satisfaction with their government-run health insurance program, not all are happy with the impact of the government's control over hospitals and medical education.

Suppose you awakened one morning and discovered that you could care for your psychiatric patients in whatever manner you deemed best—even by providing lengthy psychoanalysis—and that you would be reimbursed for your efforts by simply submitting a bill. No managedcare exclusions or precertification hassles.

You might think that you had died and gone to heaven, but what's more likely is that you simply relocated to Canada where such seemingly luxurious perks of the government-run universal health insurance program are routine.

[...]

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/43/9/4

#1 Ericokle, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sunlioness

sunlioness Fierce. Proud. Strong
    Physician

Attending Physician
    How much do psychiatrists in Canada make? I had always heard that it would be exceedingly difficult for a US educated physician to pay back his/her loans working in Canada. Not that I am planning on relocating there, but I have always wondered if that's true or not

4. ronin12

Attending Physician
    I think it varies from location to location, a friend of mine(American trained) who is working in ontario provice mentioned by working moderate hours one can easily earn around 200000 To 300000 canadian $. Also the intensity and liability of work is less than USA. I am planing to visit and get more first hand knowledge how canadian system works and possibly move to canada.

5. sunlioness

sunlioness Fierce. Proud. Strong
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Wow. That's really a lot better than I would have thought. Thanks. :)

6. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf

Attending Physician
    I think Canadian psychiatrists deserve this amount of $$ because the average person in Canada is more unstable than normal and seems to say "Ay", "melk", and "a boot" so much. That would drive anyone nuts after a day. :D

7. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    And that's less annoying than a "Joisey" accent? :rolleyes:

(I miss my CBC.)

8. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf

Attending Physician
    Damn it! How can I counter attack if you wont even declare which state you are in.... other than being in the state of denial about the coolness of New Joisey! :laugh: