psychiatry instead of nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunnyfeet97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my first semester working towards nursing i have not yet applied to the program, just the degree. My father wants me to be a nurse, because he believes there's an immense demand for them, and it pays well. In highschool, i decided that i wanted to be a psychiatrist and started in college with biology pre-med. Unfortunately, the death of my brother lead me to become severely depressed and fail my classes. I transferred to a community college and am now doing very well. I'm still considering going back into biology pre-med. While i do have a huge respect for nurses, i feel I'm more interested in the scope of medicine compared to nursing. I'm probably very hard headed to my father, and i know i don't know when to quit. I really don't want to upset him but I'm worried I'll become a nurse and wish i had done more with myself. I haven't heard of any accelerated programs from nursing to md since their curriculums are different. Is there any advise on making my decision/ if there's been anyone in a similar situation? Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

We need adults to become the leaders of the healthcare team, not geriatric teens who externalize their problems. Your parents will not be living your life for you and should not be involved whatsoever except for being credible guides and information providers. I'm also getting a hint that you're Filipino, which makes things somewhat worse.

You're also pre-pre-med. Posting in the Psych forums is beyond pointless. You need to get into med school and be willing to be a physician, assuming that you can "clean up your room", as Jordan Peterson puts it. Comparing nursing to psychiatry makes it seem like you may be a lot less informed than you should be regarding these fields.

We need adults to become the leaders of the healthcare team, not geriatric teens who externalize their problems. Your parents will not be living your life for you and should not be involved whatsoever except for being credible guides and information providers. I'm also getting a hint that you're Filipino, which makes things somewhat worse.

You're also pre-pre-med. Posting in the Psych forums is beyond pointless. You need to get into med school and be willing to be a physician, assuming that you can "clean up your room", as Jordan Peterson puts it. Comparing nursing to psychiatry makes it seem like you may be a lot less informed than you should be regarding these fields.
This is where we fail people. We see a pattern in people having no idea what they want to do when they’re young and go into medicine with the hope of being [insert any specialty here] and we chide them with the understanding that their notions of the future will be much more fluid in reality. Well, yes, medicine does seem to have a more unique pathway that you don’t actually make any decisions until you’re many years in an countless hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. The interesting part? People at that same station in life are also making real decisions about their future while having just as much limited knowledge. People are choosing to go to dental school and become dentists, or going to PhD clinical psych programs and becoming clinical psychologists (last I checked), or even people going on for a CPA... I’m pretty sure they’re walking out of there as an accountant.

Medicine provides more flexibility where you can come out the other end as a hand surgeon, or a pediatrician, or a pathologist, but the reality for most everyone else is that they choose a pathway for their career when they have just as much limited information and foresight as a premed who’s convinced they’ll be a radiologist, but we don’t jump down their throats when they think they want to be a podiatrist or an optometrist. Instead we in medicine treat answering the question of what a field is like as some kind of hidden knowledge to be kept away from the peon hopefuls, and only bestowed in MSIV.

Reactions: 1 user