Psychiatry Match Chances (Step 1 Fail + 247 Step 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coconutapple

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
USMD. I failed Step 1 and passed after an additional month of studying. I did not have to take a LOA. There are no other red flags on my resume. Top 50 medical school. A few publications. 247 Step 2 Score. What are your thoughts? How will my app be perceived by PDs?
 
It’s going to vary from program to program, but would recommend applying broadly. What are your clinical grades? Do you have any specific programs in mind or a specific geographic region? At the two programs where I was part of the resident selection committee (both academic and in the NE) you’d likely end-up in the “second look” pool of applicants after screening for applicants with red flags (e.g., Step failures, remediation, LOAs, etc). The concern from programs is going to be ability to pass boards (which your Step 2 score should help assuage concerns and possibly your clinical grades/shelf performance) and what you took away from the experience/how you grew from it. But with psych becoming more competitive things like these will likely be scrutinized more in the screening process for interviews.
 
Last edited:
It’s going to vary from program to program, but would recommend applying broadly. What are your clinical grades? Do you have any specific programs in mind or a specific geographic region? At the two programs where I was part of the resident selection committee (both academic and in the NE) you’d likely end-up in the “second look” pool of applicants after screening for applicants with red flags (e.g., Step failures, remediation, LOAs, etc). The concern from programs is going to be ability to pass boards (which your Step 2 score should help assuage concerns and possibly your clinical grades/shelf performance) and what you took away from the experience/how you grew from it. But with psych becoming more competitive things like these will likely be scrutinized more in the screening process for interviews.
I had a P/F curriculum unfortunately, at least for my situation. I have two glowing letters from psychiatrists. I passed all of my shelf exams and rotations with no problems. I had great rotation comments. I will apply broadly. That was always the strategy. I am fine with community programs. I will be using my signals very judiciously

edit: Are there specific regions that are more forgiving?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a P/F curriculum unfortunately… I passed all of my shelf exams and rotations with no problems.
Many (but not all) MSPEs comment on shelf performance or provide shelf scores which I would pay more attention to if someone struggled MS1-2 and/or had a Step failure or sub-par Step score (I was involved in the selection/interview process at the time Step I was transitioning to P/F so saw the impact both a scored and non-scored Step I had on interviewee selection and ranking applicants).

But if you apply broadly and are okay with community programs as you stated, I think you’ll be fine.