Psychiatry/psychology tablet PC program/template development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrPannus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Error.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea, but it will be hard to get universal/national buy-in. My guess is that each hospital, if it does have EMR, uses its own software vendor. Therefore, as a resident/med student/or attending, it seems like one would have to do the standard hospital electronic medical record and then your template. I guess I'm confused, is this only for places without electronic medical records? And, unfortunately, I don't think you could sell a psychiatric style database to a hospital system. I only say that because the psych departments are not known for bringing the hospital revenue, therefore i'm concerned that admins wouldn't want to invest in psych programs/software/etc...

That being said, it's a much better idea than using handwritten notes. ONly if it's faster though, and it seems like some electronic databases have way too many embedded forms/templates which means lots of clicking. I recommend the photoshop design, meaning lots of keyboard shortcuts.

Just my two cents, probably way off on some things...good luck.

Error.

Last edited:
I think I remember you! Funny we should meet again on here and have this discussion. Anyways, I remember you because you used to type notes way back then as well!
To tell you the truth, I have used tablets in the past and they had proven to be very cumbersome for me. Don't get me wrong, I hate writing notes as well and I think its ridiculous that there is so much inefficiency in medicine. However, if we were to create some sort of electronic version of our quick scribble notes, I think it would have to be on a palm that could sync directly with a hospitals EMR. The hospitals I've worked at have had these weird attempts at having a good medical record program, but the only successful one I've seen is eCARE which is an ICU version. Even then, it was always cumbersome because like you said, you had to do the interview and write on a piece of scrap paper and then later go and type it all out. I think the ideal system would either somehow be sensitive to voice so that it would directly transcribe the interview via the same software thats used for dictations or we could use prompts off our PDA's.
I'm in the US by the way, so perhaps my perspective might be a little different.
By the way, how are you doing?