Psychiatry research topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had a series of unfortunate events and this was topped by me getting psychiatry as my research topic, and we can't change. I need to come up with a topic and do it while studying for my clinicals, the project should last for a year.

I've done poring over the internet, and I've found some topics, but I'm afraid that they have been overdone, for eg. mental health of immigrants.

So, do you guys have any suggestions on a research topic based on psychiatry?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ericdamiansean said:
Hey guys, I've had a series of unfortunate events and this was topped by me getting psychiatry as my research topic, and we can't change. I need to come up with a topic and do it while studying for my clinicals, the project should last for a year.

I've done poring over the internet, and I've found some topics, but I'm afraid that they have been overdone, for eg. mental health of immigrants.

So, do you guys have any suggestions on a research topic based on psychiatry?

Thanks!

Although I'm not certain from your description what you mean by "psychiatry as my research topic", I think you can't go wrong by outcome research. There is always a treatment/therapy/intervention whose efficacy is as yet unstudied. There is frequently grant money available if you are an astute analyst of current trends in third-party reimbursement. Psychiatry is a big field, as is psychology.

By research do you mean data analysis or a simple lit review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for being so vague

We're divided into groups of 3, and each group is assigned a major topic, for eg. psychiatry, surgery, medicine, pediatrics etc
I got psychiatry.
Now, based on psychiatry, we are supposed to come up as a group, a topic which we will research on for a year, just say, "Mental Health of Immigrants". There are no grants etc, every cent we use, will come from our own pockets, but I won't mind spending abit for a project that is worth is.
It should not be too complex either, for example utilizing loads of expensive equipment and money

Neither do most psychologists I know.... ;)

The poster mentioned surgery, medicine, and pediatrics. Medical disciplines. Psychologists would no doubt take exception if someone posted "How do I change the ink cartridge in my printer for my MMPI interpretive report?" in the psychiatry forum.

Ironically, I (a psychiatry resident), must go now to present a case study with review of relevant research. I suggest you look into the American Journal of psychiatry, and about 45 other journals with original research. Making a statement like that only shows immaturity and ignorance of an entire field of medicine. Psychology research, often akin to "Reward behaviors in lesbian rollerskating nuns" are not on most psychiatrists' top priority list of studies in a clinical discipline. Thus, it seems to make more sense to post a psychiatry-related question in the psychiatry forum.

Guys, chill :)

So, any personal ideas?

Anasazi23 said:
Ironically, I (a psychiatry resident), must go now to present a case study with review of relevant research. I suggest you look into the American Journal of psychiatry, and about 45 other journals with original research. Making a statement like that only shows immaturity and ignorance of an entire field of medicine. Psychology research, often akin to "Reward behaviors in lesbian rollerskating nuns" are not on most psychiatrists' top priority list of studies in a clinical discipline. Thus, it seems to make more sense to post a psychiatry-related question in the psychiatry forum.

Perhaps you should enjoy that "research" experience during your residency because that is about all the research that you will be doing. After that, you will be pushing drugs unto patients after approximately 15 minutes of "medication management".

That is my personal experience after working in a psychiatric hospital for 6 years after watching psychiatrist prescribe mainly psychotropics to their patients and allowing everyone else conduct the research, assessments, and psychotherapy.

Good luck on your case study presentation.

Come on people! Why does every honest request for information on this board have to turn into pointless sectarian debate?

Based upon my experience I do not think new data collection is feasible. You only have one year and no external support, so I can’t imagine that you will have the time or resources that are necessary to get a study endorsed by IRB, recruit (and possibly pay) participants, clean the data, analyze the data, and produce some sort of report. In my institution IRB alone could take 6 months.

If I were you I’d try to get access to one of the large datasets like the national co-morbidity study (http://www.hcp.med.harvard.edu/ncs/) or something from the WHO or NIH. There is a lot of this sort of research around, but these databases are huge and it would take decades to exhaust all of the questions that could be investigated with them. You could also try looking around your institution to see if there are any databases available for use. Most researcher I’ve worked with love to have additional people use their data. As a bonus, most places I’ve been have some sort of expedited (or waived) review for de-identified data.

If you have your heart set on collecting new data (or will be required to do so), look at psychometric research. Some of these studies can be completed in a very short amount of time with a low time cost to participants.

Or you could just do a meta-analysis. People seem to like them though I don't fully understand why?

Good Luck

Thanks alot!
I'm now planning to do 2, one on psychiatry and another long term one on geriatrics as it's of my interest

I'm going through the NCS database, as well as the American Journal of Psychiatry to look for one.

I'm still welcoming ideas :rolleyes:

I agree with Paendrag in that MDs do not get adequate research training. How about you look at the realtionship between coping skills and mental illness. I have done some research in this area, and it has some support, but not so much as to make it overdone...

:rolleyes:

ericdamiansean said:
Thanks alot!
I'm now planning to do 2, one on psychiatry and another long term one on geriatrics as it's of my interest

I'm going through the NCS database, as well as the American Journal of Psychiatry to look for one.

I'm still welcoming ideas :rolleyes:

Ummm--there IS such a thing as geriatric psychiatry...

OldPsychDoc said:
Ummm--there IS such a thing as geriatric psychiatry...

I'm doing them separately :)

PsyDRxPnow said:
Perhaps you should enjoy that "research" experience during your residency because that is about all the research that you will be doing.

Here is a partial list of the research projects and departments I will get involved with during my psychiatry residency:
http://www.mssm.edu/psychiatry/research.shtml
Many argue that medical school, with the ever-increasing advancements and pharmacopeia, should be lengthened. Where do you propose medical school institute all these statistics and research classes? Should they take multivariate stats? Why not a dissertation? Nova Southeastern University requires Psyd's to complete 2 research classes, in addition to their research project/dissertation. http://www.cps.nova.edu/ Medical schools now largely require a biostatistics class, and an EBM class. Given the volume of material in medical school, a dissertation is unreasonable and unnecessary. MD/PhD programs exist for that purpose.

LIJ has their own academic journal for psychiatry alone. Mt. Sinai publishes its own research journal, as do many, many other medical schools.
We are required to publish SOMETHING before we graduate from residency. We have classes in statistics, research design, and EBM in residency. The truth is that medicine is a profession of treating patients. It is not an academic degree. If you've ever read a journal like the NEJM, you'd see that medical research is more practical, it addresses clinically related questions and treatment strategies for practicing physicians. The statistics are easier to interpret, and do not unduely, and for academic discussion's sake, invoke complex statistics to be debated among other researchers.

After that, you will be pushing drugs unto patients after approximately 15 minutes of "medication management". That is my personal experience after working in a psychiatric hospital for 6 years after watching psychiatrist prescribe mainly psychotropics to their patients and allowing everyone else conduct the research, assessments, and psychotherapy.

Good luck on your case study presentation.

Again, my perspective. Has it ever occured to you that perhaps a psychiatrist's patient population is doing well, and do not require an hour long session every week? Given the severe shortage of psychiatrists that psychologists assert as reason to pursue prescription privilages, why would you possibly expect a psychiatrist to do a 3 hour intake on a patient, with countless paper and pencil tests? Psychiatrists do what all physicians are trained to do - assess patients concisely when necessary, elicit symptom complexes, review changes in medical status, and treat accordingly. For what it's worth, I don't know a psychiatrist that does solely "15 minute med checks." All whom I know see patients for 15 minutes if appropriate, and for a half hour or hour when necessary, and time for them is alotted as such. Many of these 15 minute med checks are for patients that the psychiatrists have agreed to see as outpatients that were once inpatients, and are doing so at a lower reimbursement rate, since many private psychiatrists will not see chronics without insurance.

If psychiatrists saw all their patients for hours each session, did hour long therapy sessions and testing, as you suggest, you'd be out of a job.

Hey guys. You know who sucks? Everyone but me. PsyDs are unqualified, psychiatrists don't understand research, and people from other Ph.D. programs aren't nearly as smart or capable as I am. In fact, the other people from my Ph.D. program also suck. It sure is great I have a forum like this one where I can insult other professionals. I don't know how I could express my superiority otherwise.

Now THAT was a good post...psychgeek. Very funny and true. It seems we are all acting like the good-ol boys in my home town..always trying to figure out who has the biggest P@n1$ by trying to have the biggest, meanest truck..... :cool:

psychgeek said:
Hey guys. You know who sucks? Everyone but me. PsyDs are unqualified, psychiatrists don't understand research, and people from other Ph.D. programs aren't nearly as smart or capable as I am. In fact, the other people from my Ph.D. program also suck. It sure is great I have a forum like this one where I can insult other professionals. I don't know how I could express my superiority otherwise.

Love it :D