Psychiatry residency-Community Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ELOVL4

Doc from the Ozarks
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea about this? My ER director did community psychiatry fellowship. He was encouraging me to do this fellowship. What's the future of this specialty?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any idea about this? My ER director did community psychiatry fellowship. He was encouraging me to do this fellowship. What's the future of this specialty?:)

The criticism of most of the non-child fellowships is that they're unnecessary and you're essentially doing attending work at a lower salary in exchange for a diverse set of experiences that many would say are rather overblown considering you could take a job and do many of the same things. The community fellowship may be the MOST vulnerable to that criticism, especially as it is not even an ACGME program.

That said, I have friends who have done the community fellowship in a few different cities, and they were very glad they did, mostly because they thought the experience was fantastic. If doing the fellowship would support you being the kind of psychiatrist you want to be, then that's all the reason you need to do it (or not do it... up to you). Though don't necessarily expect tons of people to agree with you that it's worth it.