psychiatry residency rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebirdie1956

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

what are your thoughts on the best/most prestigious psychiatry residency programs? I'm looking for strong training, breadth and the most post-residency career opportunities.

I'd like to kick off this debate with my own (admittedly limited!) impressions from my interview trail and talking to residents and advisors:

- MGH/McLean and Columbia more or less neck and neck (broad areas of excellence, strong clinical training and strong research)

then followed by, in no particular order:
- Pitt (for research), NYU (for public/forensics), Cornell and Cambridge health Alliance (for psychotherapy), and then maybe UCLA and UCSF as "best in the west"

what do you all think? please weigh in!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

what are your thoughts on the best/most prestigious psychiatry residency programs? I'm looking for strong training, breadth and the most post-residency career opportunities.

I'd like to kick off this debate with my own (admittedly limited!) impressions from my interview trail and talking to residents and advisors:

- MGH/McLean and Columbia more or less neck and neck (broad areas of excellence, strong clinical training and strong research)

then followed by, in no particular order:
- Pitt (for research), NYU (for public/forensics), Cornell and Cambridge health Alliance (for psychotherapy), and then maybe UCLA and UCSF as "best in the west"

what do you all think? please weigh in!!

You can get a lot of good opinions on this by reading prior posts on this subject: here, here, here, here, here, and here. Most of the information is current, i.e., 2009-2010, so an additional thread won't add value. Some of the threads are older, i.e., 2005-07, but then again, applicant preoccupations and misinformation regarding residency program prestige are probably as accurate as the 'up to date' rankings themselves.

-AT.