Psychiatry vs ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a current psych intern and just started medicine months. During the basic science years of medical school, my favorite subject was microbiology and antibiotics. During third and fourth year, my academic streak sort of lapsed because the clinical environment was overwhelming for me, the teaching was poor, and I didn't study guidelines and the practice of clinical medicine as much as I should have. I dislike multi-tasking, procedures, and emergency settings(ICU is out lol). I enjoyed my ID rotation but chose psychiatry because I found it to be a field where you can meld philosophy and medicine and truly help vulnerable patients during their most trying times.

I've enjoyed psychiatry thus far although the treatment provided on inpatient units is at times a disheartening experience for me as sometimes it appears that we haven't done much to help the patient(nor is there much that we can do, especially if their primary issues have to do with finances or housing which are major contributors for a lot of patients) and the evidence behind the pharmacology is still somewhat murky. I do appreciate the ability to speak at length with patients and get to the bottom of their mental health issues and life stressors though.

Now that I've spent a week on IM floors where every patient's active issues are discussed with good teaching directed towards what the issues are and what to do about them, I'm finding that I have a lot to learn but that it makes a lot more sense than things did during my clinical years in medical school.

I doubt I would ever switch but would it be worthwhile to change over to IM from psychiatry with the goal of specializing in ID knowing that I would be losing out on another year of training and likely earn less as an ID physician than as a psychiatrist? I do have a large number of student loans. Thoughts? Is the practice of ID not really as interesting as the study of microbiology/antibiotics?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that it might be worth pursuing psychosomatic medicine if you like the overlap between medicine and psychiatry. HIV psychiatry is a legitimate sub-sub-specialty that might help scratch your itch for working on ID related problems. Many HIV clinics would love to have a psychiatrist available to help with their patients' psych issues.

Every field has its pros and cons, so I don't think that finding you don't love everything about psychiatry means it isn't for you if you are finding other things you enjoy about it. A lot of people don't enjoy the atmosphere of psych inpatient. Even though I do work on an inpatient unit, I don't always love it and I definitely don't think it is right for everyone. Do you know yet if you like outpatient psych? Most psychiatrists work in outpatient in the real world but the majority of med students don't get much exposure to it.

By the way, did you remember that you had asked about this topic a few years ago? If not, it might help to look back on he replies you got back then...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/infectious-diseases-vs-psychiatry.1108479/

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 user
Switching residencies is not uncommon or even that difficult but if you want to switch I would recommend doing it sooner than later to avoid more added time to training. I can't tell you which decision is right for you but I would recommend looking at long term happiness and not just how you feel about residency which goes by fairly fast. Choose the route that you feel will give you the most feelings of happiness and satisfaction and avoid making decisions based on fear instead of desire. Deep down you probably know what this is.

Stay in psych, and sub specialize in HIV like an above poster has said. In no field will you completely be 100% happy. Psychiatrists are in high demand.
I loved psych in medical school. Also ID. But hated the incessant rounding of general medicine.

Hi guys,

I'm still in the same boat. Now that I've had almost 2 months of IM under my belt, there are clearly aspects of it that grate on me much worse than Psychiatry. On the other hand, it feels so rewarding that in a good number of the cases you know for a fact that you helped treat and "cure" the patient whereas in Psychiatry, progress can be slow and uncertain much of the time. Difficulty with making decisions is a character trait of mine so I understand that this sense of ambiguity will always remain with me no matter what I choose.

I just wish I didn't have as much debt as I do(300k+) as decisions would be much easier. Psychiatry will offer me better control over my working life, endless opportunities throughout the country, and a higher salary than ID would and in light of my debt I think these are powerful factors to consider. On the other hand, nothing gets my heart pounding with excitement in the working world as much as trying to work up a "fever of unknown origin" case. That being said, I do wonder if the study of ID and microbiology is heaps more interesting than the actual practical matter of working as a typical ID doctor. As a psychiatrist I wonder if it would be possible to have a practice where I can still manage some of the antibiotics and more routine medical issues that my patients come in with..

Hi guys,

I'm still in the same boat. Now that I've had almost 2 months of IM under my belt, there are clearly aspects of it that grate on me much worse than Psychiatry. On the other hand, it feels so rewarding that in a good number of the cases you know for a fact that you helped treat and "cure" the patient whereas in Psychiatry, progress can be slow and uncertain much of the time. Difficulty with making decisions is a character trait of mine so I understand that this sense of ambiguity will always remain with me no matter what I choose.

I just wish I didn't have as much debt as I do(300k+) as decisions would be much easier. Psychiatry will offer me better control over my working life, endless opportunities throughout the country, and a higher salary than ID would and in light of my debt I think these are powerful factors to consider. On the other hand, nothing gets my heart pounding with excitement in the working world as much as trying to work up a "fever of unknown origin" case. That being said, I do wonder if the study of ID and microbiology is heaps more interesting than the actual practical matter of working as a typical ID doctor. As a psychiatrist I wonder if it would be possible to have a practice where I can still manage some of the antibiotics and more routine medical issues that my patients come in with..

Really as long as you keep up with appropriate CMEs, there is no reason you can't do basic medical stuff for your patients. At the same time, at present, you will generally not get paid for that medical stuff if you are addressing it in the same visit at the same location in an outpatient setting as behavioral health issues. If you stick to C&L or traditional inpatient work, though, that is less of an issue.

Hi,

I'm a current psych intern and just started medicine months. During the basic science years of medical school, my favorite subject was microbiology and antibiotics. During third and fourth year, my academic streak sort of lapsed because the clinical environment was overwhelming for me, the teaching was poor, and I didn't study guidelines and the practice of clinical medicine as much as I should have. I dislike multi-tasking, procedures, and emergency settings(ICU is out lol). I enjoyed my ID rotation but chose psychiatry because I found it to be a field where you can meld philosophy and medicine and truly help vulnerable patients during their most trying times.

I've enjoyed psychiatry thus far although the treatment provided on inpatient units is at times a disheartening experience for me as sometimes it appears that we haven't done much to help the patient(nor is there much that we can do, especially if their primary issues have to do with finances or housing which are major contributors for a lot of patients) and the evidence behind the pharmacology is still somewhat murky. I do appreciate the ability to speak at length with patients and get to the bottom of their mental health issues and life stressors though.

Now that I've spent a week on IM floors where every patient's active issues are discussed with good teaching directed towards what the issues are and what to do about them, I'm finding that I have a lot to learn but that it makes a lot more sense than things did during my clinical years in medical school.

I doubt I would ever switch but would it be worthwhile to change over to IM from psychiatry with the goal of specializing in ID knowing that I would be losing out on another year of training and likely earn less as an ID physician than as a psychiatrist? I do have a large number of student loans. Thoughts? Is the practice of ID not really as interesting as the study of microbiology/antibiotics?

Pursue your passions. Whatever they may be. The mechanism to get to where you want to be often isn't straight. That's called life!

Really as long as you keep up with appropriate CMEs, there is no reason you can't do basic medical stuff for your patients. At the same time, at present, you will generally not get paid for that medical stuff if you are addressing it in the same visit at the same location in an outpatient setting as behavioral health issues. If you stick to C&L or traditional inpatient work, though, that is less of an issue.

You should be able to be paid for managing a separate issue as long as you have a different diagnosis code.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

or. As a psychiatrist I wonder if it would be possible to have a practice where I can still manage some of the antibiotics and more routine medical issues that my patients come in with..

In a lot of inpatient psych settings, you would be allowed to take care of as much as the medical care of your psych patients as you like.

Reactions: 1 users
In a lot of inpatient psych settings, you would be allowed to take care of as much as the medical care of your psych patients as you like.
Critical talent for a Psychiatrist is differential diagnosis to exclude medical causes for apparent Psychiatric problems. The ER will try to turf medical patients to the Psych ward.