Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

different strokes

How do PA's fit into psychiatry? Do they get to do psychotherapy and prescribe meds under the supervision of a psychiatrist? I hear alot about PA's working in surgery and ER. But, what about psychiatry?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Now how in the hell could a PA administer psycho therapy without residency?? Hell I can't figure out how they even practice with only 2 years training! What a sad state of affairs we are in.

Remeber the difference between psychology and psychiatry: the former is more therapy, counseling, and the like, whereas the latter is medical management. In this, there is room for PAs. While I am uncertain as to what sort of prescribing power might be had, there are certainly some psych patients whose needs can be well met by a PA with the right background. Anyone else provide more info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh, considering psychotherapy is provided by a "psychotherapist" or Psychiatrist...I really don't see how a Phsyicians Assistant could do that without appropriate additional training or liscensure.
That would be like a dental hygenist filling a tooth. Forget that junk.

Just curious. Happy Clown and Freeeedom, where are you guys in the process.......Pre-med or med students?

Ready for the match.
I have worked with PA's and NP's...nice people, but I wouldn't want a family member to see one. Not a chance. Some actually have frightened me! As surgical assists, they were great, in the ER...that was a different story.

Ya know, people are allowed opposing views right?

I ask this because nurses have done therapy.

Well for those that don't know psychiatric nurses have done psychotherapy and have also worked on crisis teams. My friend is a psychiatric nurse who is a program director for a crisis response project. She trains the social workers that respond to suicidal and homicidal calls. She supervisors the people that run the suicide hotline phone room. She does all the hiring and firing for this project. There are program managers and team leaders below her. She does not see patients. SHE HAS DONE PSYCHOTHERAPY IN THE PAST. When she was seeing patients, she would get referrals from psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers.

I don't doubt this is true. But if given a choice...
Yes, and I worked with a Nurse Practitionor who helped out 3 psychiatrists. She did the monotonous chart reviews at nursing homes, and the discharge papers. That is what a NP or PA SHOULD do. Ways of making the Physician less bogged down!
But one on one therapy? Seeing pt's? That is why we have Dr's...be they Psychologists or Psychiatrists. I would not want one of my family members to see anything less...they don't deserve it.

Yes, Freedom, you are certainly allowed an opposing view. I was only asking to get and idea from what perspective you make your statements.

I find it very curious that a fourth year medical student has the time or the interest to be perusing threads under the PA/NP sub-section of SDN. Based on many of your posts that I have read, you obviously don't think very much of PAs/NPs. That's fine, thats your prerogative. One would think, however, that you really wouldn't care what PAs and NPs had to say about anything, because after all, they are not physicians. Your name seems to come up on this section time and time again. Why do you feel a need to come here and dog mid-level practitioners? That is what you are doing, whether you mean to or not. Expressing your opinions is all well and good and is the premise of this Forum, demeaning them is quite another.

Well, someone has time, because someone is taking a break from studying for Step 2. Glad you needed to know.
As someone who takes pride in my education and the history of medicine, I have seen the lessons of apathy. Physicians were apathetic when insurance companies began to intrude upon the practices of physician groups and hospitals, soon dictating the appropriate next step in patient care. Physicians were far too apathetic when they began to lose control of hospitals to big corporations, soon to make paycuts affecting the practice and delivery in health care. And physicians were too apathetic when the government made cuts in medicare affecting teaching hospitals and areas of GME that would affect the way health care is delivered in the future.
So, forgive me for NOT being apathetic when I see lesser professionals pick away at the practice rights of physicians. To chip away at the vision of "Ole Family Doctor" to make way for the "Young Nurse Practitioner" or "Young Phsyicians Assistant". Nope, ain't gonna happen.

Seems to me that Different Strokes was simply asking a question. Being a good person (much less health care provider) means offering assistance as readily as one would seek it. Diff. Strokes, do not let these dinguses keep you from asking what it is that is on your mind. The rest of us will be more than happy to help you out.

CVPA
I admire your resiliance on these matters, but you should know better than to reply to this type of dribble.

Freedom,

My friend (psych RN) who is a program director had hired the psychiatrist that works along side her.

Would it also kill you to know that many psychiatric RN's had actually trained psychiatric residents?!

Personally, if I had a choice between a junk psychologist or psychiatrist versus a good therapist with lower credentials I would choose the latter. By, the way people with master's in social work, counseling, and family therapy do therapy too. I know this because I am a licensed social worker at the master's level. I did a mental health concentration.

Freedom,

When people feel the need to lash out at others, they are often times trying to fill a void within themselves. Maybe you should seek psychiatric help. You also sound like an angry person.

Are you a troll? I know that anyone can peruse these boards.

Also, I will ignore your posts because you are only here to berate people. When I see your username, I will just scroll past it!

Yeah, I know. I shouldn't even bother.

I will say something though, that will probably shock many of you, but I call things as I see them. I don't think Freedom is as much of an a-hole as he is misguided. He (I think) believes in a principle that PAs and NPs are bad for patients and is, in his mind, standing up for patients and something he believes in. Again, I think he is misguided, but at least his ideals are patient-directed rather than pure self-interest.

Hmmm, CVPA,
I think after reading many of your posts, I should have guessd that you would take the high road and find optimism! That being said, I withdraw my illmannered comment and hope (but really doubt) that your assesment of freeeedom is acurate. I too often find myself projecting "good intentions" on those with few obvious good sides. But in this case, I am somewhat doubtful.

As far as psychotherapy goes, psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, family therapists and people with master's in counseling can work as therapists. Because a person has a master's it does not mean that they are not as good as someone with a doctorate. A person with a doctorate can be a terrrible therapist. At our university counseling clinic we have master's level counselors (they are liscensed and fully trained in therapy) doing therapy. They get great feedback from the students whom need therapy. However, there are a couple of psychologists and one psychiatrist that patients always complain about.

I would like to know too...The original poster asked, "Where does psychiatry fit in the role of a PA?" Please only serious responses?