Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Psychiatry_

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Pony46, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Pony46

Pony46 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are there any of you who are going DO and thinking of becoming psychiatrists?

I ask because:

1) I am considering this( in far off, have not gone through pre-med post-bac yet kinda way)

2) Personal experience with OMT lets me know that there is a seeming connection with mental health.

~And I know that there are many rules about not touching patients in Psychiatry... I am just curious if any of you are looking to become Psychiatrists?

winter arrived here today
    P

2. sweet2th

sweet2th ready to roll
    5+ Year Member

I am and I also work right now with 3 DO psych residents. I don't think the touching thing has anything to do with their choice...I agree though that psych and osteopathic philosophy seem like an excellent mixture.

3. Pony46

Pony46 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am so glad you think so...

Do they use OMT on their patients????
    p

4. priu

priu Member
    10+ Year Member

Great question, something I've been wondering as well. I would assume that it is up to the individual to due their best to implement OMT... such as during the H&P's. There are probably at least a few psychological conditions arising out of a somatic disorder, in which OMT could be an effective part of the treatment plan.

5. Pony46

Pony46 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I asked because I am pretty sure that there are strict restrictions on touching patients in both Psychology and Psychiatry...

But I am happy you see the link as well... :)

6. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i am! psych is at the very top of my list. another thing that seems cool to me is to do a psych/im residency. then i could use omm on the im patients. can't psych people also do pain fellowships? in that case, you could definitely use omm.

7. Dr Trek 1

Dr Trek 1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am thinking of psychiatry and worked with a psychiatrist DO. She works in a state hospital and state law forbides practicing OMM in a state hospital here in NY, but she still loves it.

8. priu

priu Member
    10+ Year Member

I have heard about a 5 yr combined Psych/family medicine residency... you might want to look into that... unfortunately, I never bookmarked the website for the residency.

9. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    there are those, but there's also psych/im ones, too. for some reason, i'd so much rather do im than fp. i like the idea of primary care, but fp is just not for me.

10. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are a handful of psych/fp programs. I believe they're listed on FREIDA or whatever it is.

What would make more sense to me is EM/Psych. Imagine how marketable you'd be to an ER. I don't think it's really feasible as there probably isn't much overlap in the two.