1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

psychology a science?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bananaboat, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

at my school, university of toronto, i take a bunch of psychology courses which are considered science courses at my university.

these courses include things like biological psychology, cognitive neuroscience. they are heavily based in neuroscience and brain physiology/anatomy. they aren't the typical things that come to mind when the lay person thinks of psychology (social psych).

my quesiton is, can i use one of the professors for these courses as my science reference? at my school, they would be considered a science professor. or do i instead have to use them as a non-science reference.

i specifically did research in cognitive neuroscience. this involved working with MRI to design specific cognitive tasks and see the activated brain regions. i dont' see why this would be considered a non-science reference.

basically, is science/non-science determined by the school you attend, or the school you are applying to.

thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's a tough question. Sometimes, some professors are listed as faculty in more than one department; for example, you might have a professor of neuroscience that's a member of both the psychology and neurobiology (or biology) departments. If they have a listing in a strictly "science" department, I'd say they're safe as far as a science recommendation. Also, keep in mind that when adcoms are looking for science letters, they're thinking along the lines of a science prof that's had you for one or more of your pre-med prerequisites. This is not to say that a science letter *has* to be from one of them, but those are always a safe bet to be counted as "science" letters, if you feel you can get a good one. Hope that helps!

4. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

5. MaryWrathers

MaryWrathers Guest
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At my school, Psych is a dept. in the College of Sciences.

6. Natatiap

Natatiap Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Psychology is my major :D Yes it is a science but when they ask for letters from a science professor I believe they are asking about one of the pre-med pre-req course science classes. That would be something you would need to ask you pre-med advisor or the schools you intend to apply to to make sure you get the correct letters you need. Good luck!!

7. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    at my school it is considered a social science...but I see what you are saying

8. vincikai

vincikai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no no and no

9. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Social Science. We debated this. True science must be capable of being disproven. You can't disprove a lot of theories, so it is not truly a science.

10. Quix

Quix Herr Professor

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    I would say yes, psychology is a science in general, but I think it would really be a question of which class the professor taught. I asked my biopsychology professor to write a letter of rec, principally because it was generally about the behavioral correlates of neuroanatomy, psychoneuroimmunology, the HPA/HPG axis, etc., etc. Social/intro to psych would be inappropriate, cognitive psych is iffy, depending upon what topics you covered (e.g., cognitive heuristics and neural networking would be appropriately scientific).

11. bananaboat

bananaboat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

its basically neuropsychology i do ...certain brain lessions, and the effects ...eg. stroke to ventromedial PFC... blah blah effects.

12. Quix

Quix Herr Professor

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    That should qualify as a science rec; but I'd double check with your pre-health advisor (if you have one).

13. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of psychology (social psych, etc) should be considered "soft" science. However, I have taken biopsych classes that were by all means "hard" science.