bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
at my school, university of toronto, i take a bunch of psychology courses which are considered science courses at my university.

these courses include things like biological psychology, cognitive neuroscience. they are heavily based in neuroscience and brain physiology/anatomy. they aren't the typical things that come to mind when the lay person thinks of psychology (social psych).

my quesiton is, can i use one of the professors for these courses as my science reference? at my school, they would be considered a science professor. or do i instead have to use them as a non-science reference.

i specifically did research in cognitive neuroscience. this involved working with MRI to design specific cognitive tasks and see the activated brain regions. i dont' see why this would be considered a non-science reference.

basically, is science/non-science determined by the school you attend, or the school you are applying to.

thanks.

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That's a tough question. Sometimes, some professors are listed as faculty in more than one department; for example, you might have a professor of neuroscience that's a member of both the psychology and neurobiology (or biology) departments. If they have a listing in a strictly "science" department, I'd say they're safe as far as a science recommendation. Also, keep in mind that when adcoms are looking for science letters, they're thinking along the lines of a science prof that's had you for one or more of your pre-med prerequisites. This is not to say that a science letter *has* to be from one of them, but those are always a safe bet to be counted as "science" letters, if you feel you can get a good one. Hope that helps!

About the Ads

Natatiap

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Psychology is my major :D Yes it is a science but when they ask for letters from a science professor I believe they are asking about one of the pre-med pre-req course science classes. That would be something you would need to ask you pre-med advisor or the schools you intend to apply to to make sure you get the correct letters you need. Good luck!!

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
Social Science. We debated this. True science must be capable of being disproven. You can't disprove a lot of theories, so it is not truly a science.

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
bananaboat said:
at my school, university of toronto, i take a bunch of psychology courses which are considered science courses at my university.

these courses include things like biological psychology, cognitive neuroscience. they are heavily based in neuroscience and brain physiology/anatomy. they aren't the typical things that come to mind when the lay person thinks of psychology (social psych).

my quesiton is, can i use one of the professors for these courses as my science reference? at my school, they would be considered a science professor. or do i instead have to use them as a non-science reference.

i specifically did research in cognitive neuroscience. this involved working with MRI to design specific cognitive tasks and see the activated brain regions. i dont' see why this would be considered a non-science reference.

basically, is science/non-science determined by the school you attend, or the school you are applying to.

thanks.

I would say yes, psychology is a science in general, but I think it would really be a question of which class the professor taught. I asked my biopsychology professor to write a letter of rec, principally because it was generally about the behavioral correlates of neuroanatomy, psychoneuroimmunology, the HPA/HPG axis, etc., etc. Social/intro to psych would be inappropriate, cognitive psych is iffy, depending upon what topics you covered (e.g., cognitive heuristics and neural networking would be appropriately scientific).

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
Quix said:
I would say yes, psychology is a science in general, but I think it would really be a question of which class the professor taught. I asked my biopsychology professor to write a letter of rec, principally because it was generally about the behavioral correlates of neuroanatomy, psychoneuroimmunology, the HPA/HPG axis, etc., etc. Social/intro to psych would be inappropriate, cognitive psych is iffy, depending upon what topics you covered (e.g., cognitive heuristics and neural networking would be appropriately scientific).

its basically neuropsychology i do ...certain brain lessions, and the effects ...eg. stroke to ventromedial PFC... blah blah effects.

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
bananaboat said:
its basically neuropsychology i do ...certain brain lessions, and the effects ...eg. stroke to ventromedial PFC... blah blah effects.

That should qualify as a science rec; but I'd double check with your pre-health advisor (if you have one).

tulane06

Private Joker
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A lot of psychology (social psych, etc) should be considered "soft" science. However, I have taken biopsych classes that were by all means "hard" science.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.