Psychology (BA) as pre-med - is this a good idea?

Started by nerv12
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nerv12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK so I be will applying to a university next year but I'm not sure if I should go with the traditional bio route to enter med school or should I take Psychology, get a high GPA and take med school pre-reqs at the same time. I'm in grade 12 and I've taken university level (AP level in the states I believe - most difficult level?) bio, chem and english so far.

So my question is, will taking Psychology be a bad choice in the long run? I mean if someone is going the bio route, will he have more chances of getting into med school even if I take the MCAT prep course?

I read the admission requirements for university of ottawa and they require a couple of pre-reqs. So if I take those while doing Psychology, will I be fine? This university doesn't require an MCAT but they do require a higher GPA so...anyhow I will write the MCAT and apply to other schools as well.

This is the school's website:

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/Admissions/eng/eligibility_criteria.html

EDIT:

these are the pre-reqs they require:

1. one full year course in General Biology including laboratory session;
2. one full year course in Humanities or Social Sciences (or two semester courses in separate disciplines;
3. and
4. the equivalent of two full-year courses of the following Chemistry courses: i) General Biochemistry without laboratory session; ii) General Chemistry with laboratory session; iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session.
 
Yeah but do you recommend it? (this is mainly for the seniors who know what premed is like and have taken the MCAT)

Do you think I should go with the bio route or do this? I just stayed at a Psychology class in my high school for a couple of days because the teachers cool with it and doesn't mind and I find it interesting....so I could take the course if I were to do Psychology in premed. Otherwise, if I were to go the bio route, I need certain pre-reqs in high school so I have to choose my courses accordingly...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, your college level courses might not exactly be synonymous with AP level courses here. I know my high school has "college prep" and AP which involved taking an AP exam.

As far as majors goes. Pick what you enjoy. I really enjoy psychology and I am actually majoring in biology with a psych minor. Go with a psych major if that is what you enjoy but not because it is easy. As tennis said, you can major in anything you want. Psychology really isn't that nontraditional since it still deals with medicine in some ways, especially if you focus on neuropsychology.
 
Take what you enjoy. I know the required classes for med are very similar to dent, so as long as you take those (Ochem, Gchem, Physics, Calc) by the time you apply, you're good. Also, Adcoms like to see non bio/chem majors, because honestly, like 98% of all the applicants they get are either bio or chem.

I know a number of dental folks who are like Philosophy, Engineering, and that kinda thing, so it's very doable.
 
I agree with Maygyver, that is sound advice. I think that you will have more merit when you sit in front of a committee and say "I picked ______ because it was what I really enjoyed" rather than being facetious and saying that you picked biology for some other reason which you know is not true.

I understand your claim about not being a biology/chemistry/physics etc student and addressing the MCAT issue. I received a BS in Political Science and I found the MCAT was challenging. But when I was asked "why political science" I told them the truth and they were receptive to the challeneges I endured. In fact, I think they were impressed with it.

Besides, who says that you cant do what you enjoy and still take all the biology and/or psychology classes anyway. Took me 170 credits for my undergrad because I loved it all. Oh well, I learned something from it all.

Good luck!
 
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. Umm I would like to take Psychology but does the work load become too much when your taking extra classes? (meaning the require pre-reqs for med school)

Do you think you learned "enough" by taking just the pre-reqs and not the entire bio program? (in order to be confident enough and do well on the MCAT) I'm really worried about this, I think that I won't learn "enough" by not taking the bio program....

edit:

I want to ask this as well. Say for instance, I don't get in med school, what else can I do with a Psychology degree?
 
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. Umm I would like to take Psychology but does the work load become too much when your taking extra classes? (meaning the require pre-reqs for med school)

Do you think you learned "enough" by taking just the pre-reqs and not the entire bio program? (in order to be confident enough and do well on the MCAT) I'm really worried about this, I think that I won't learn "enough" by not taking the bio program....

edit:

I want to ask this as well. Say for instance, I don't get in med school, what else can I do with a Psychology degree?



You definitely have enough time. You can probably use some of the courses as electives too.

If you don't get into med school/decide not to, you can always do clinical psychology, counselor or work as a professor. I'm sure there are tons of other jobs I can think of at the moment.
 
I really appreciate it, thanks.

but my other question still stands. Will I learn "enough" by taking just the pre-reqs?
 
Some little birdie told me that the biggest major of Med School students is Political Science. I could be completely wrong here but the point is it doesn't really matter what your major is as long as you get your pre-reqs and your ECs and volunteering and stuff done.
 
OK that sounds good. Thanks again for all your feedback guys!

If anyone still has any other suggestions, please let me know! I still have some time to finalize my pre-req courses for the specific premed I want to do 🙂
 
*death glare*

ANOTHER senior?! I swear if you guys don't stop rubbing your college-ness in my face...
 
You should be fine with your amount of knowledge from prereqs to take the MCAT. A review course would probably be helpful though.
 
Sounds good thanks a lot guys!

Another question, will volunteer work in high school mean anything when applying to university or med school? I volunteered at clinics, hospitals, rehab clinics, etc...I have 2 reference letters from a couple of doctors I worked with.
 
That'll help you get into college and for scholarships and stuff but I wouldn't put it on your med school resume, just like you wouldn't put anything from Middle School on your college resume...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds good thanks a lot guys!

Another question, will volunteer work in high school mean anything when applying to university or med school? I volunteered at clinics, hospitals, rehab clinics, etc...I have 2 reference letters from a couple of doctors I worked with.

I wouldn't recommend it, however what I would recommend is staying in touch with those contacts to see if you can do more research/volunteer work with them that you CAN use for med school.
 
I wouldn't recommend it, however what I would recommend is staying in touch with those contacts to see if you can do more research/volunteer work with them that you CAN use for med school.

👍👍👍 Perfect advice. Building a network of doctor friends is very useful.
 
Sounds good thanks a lot guys!

Another question, will volunteer work in high school mean anything when applying to university or med school? I volunteered at clinics, hospitals, rehab clinics, etc...I have 2 reference letters from a couple of doctors I worked with.

Dude, you are a lucky bastard. They allow you to volunteer at clinics in Ontario ? Not in B.C man... 🙁
 
lol that sucks. You should talk to your counseller, I am sure you should have some volunteer opportunities. I volunteered at a rehab clinic last summer with a Chiropractor for the whole summer. She is such a nice doctor and I basically got to sit next to her almost everyday while she treated patients. And she wrote me a really nice reference letter, I still visit her every now and then so yeah thanks for the advice Gallix.