Psychology GRE preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if the same question was posted already somewhere, in this case appreciate if somebody could refer me to a thread.

Looking for advice to prepare for psychology subject GRE.
- Is Kaplan book sufficient (suspect not...)? What are other materials advised to use?
- Did anybody take Kaplan's class, is it worth the money $1000 (especially for somebody who have experience with GRE format tests).

Some background:
- I was not psychology major, and only taken scattered classes - such as intro and social psych (on undergrad level, century ago) and psychopathology (on grad level, very recently).
- I am very versed in the research methods side (respective classes and beyond).
- I need the highest possible score and have more than 3 month to study, if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

See my reply to this thread. Also, the quite-lengthy outline mentioned in that reply is attached here in Microsoft Word format. Keep in mind I only wrote down stuff I thought there was a remote chance I'd forget. Also, I don't know if you'll understand the way I wrote things as well as I, and I penciled in some notes while reviewing. None of my notes from the Cracking book are on the outline.

So... take it for what it's worth. I got 99th percentile and, like you, hadn't taken many psych classes at the time.

EDIT: Apparently you can't actually attach files even though it would lead you to believe otherwise. If you want to give me your e-mail address, I could e-mail it to you.

Read through as many first year and second year textbooks as you can find. Go for a broad overview of biological psychology, social, developmental, cognitive, abnormal etc. Audit an intro to psych course to refresh your memory.
Do not invest in Kaplan course. IMO, if you need the Kaplan course for Psych GRE, you should not be considering grad school.
Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot!

I sent you my email via private message. Let me know if you did not get it - I will post it here than.

Best
IG

I didn't get it - post it here :)

lazure said:
I didn't get it - post it here :)
Heh, I think she was talking to me. She sent me her e-mail address so I could send the outline I mentioned in my post.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Quynh2007 said:
does anyone recommend TA'ing for intro to psych? I took it in 2003 and got an A, but I can't audit it again because they have assigned seats (one of the most popular classes even though next yr will have 1400+ students again, lol) and have hundreds on the waiting list. I would try to TA if it will help me review. does anyone with TA experience have suggestions/advice? thanks in advance
I've never been a TA. I'd imagine it could be helpful, but probably not the most efficient way of reviewing the relevant material.

the psych gre was horrible. the kaplan book, while good, does little to help you to prepare for the psych gre (the most useless test ever invented).

i recommend brushing up on physiology and the natural science part, there are a lot of questions from that realm.

speaking of which, anyone know when the dec. 10 scores will be avaiable?

I used the Princeton book and found it extremely helpful (got around 90th percentile or somewhere around there).
I also dug up an old intro psych textbook, but didn't really need to use...I found Princeton covered everything that I needed to know.
IMO the class is a waste of money!
Also in regards to TAing....I just finished TAing an intro class.....it wasn't too much work, just alot of office hours and questions, and it is helpful...but I really think you don't need to invest that much time for it. I spent 3 weekends studying and did fine....so I don't think you'd need to spend 16 weeks TAing.