Psychology gre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovefash67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was looking through the psychology gre book and I just want to make sure I have this correctly. To get in the 600-700 .I would have to not answer 86 questions correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you basing this on the percentages and norms from the Psych GRE practice test available from ETS?

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_psych.pdf

Those are just for the practice test, not necessarily for the actual test you would take now. They might be different for your actual test, in either direction.

Also, don't forget that getting a problem wrong on the test subtracts 1/4 of a point, so getting four problems wrong subtracts a full point from your score.

Yes I am . I am trying to figure out how many questions do I need to answer/get right in order to get a 600 or above. So for my strategy if I don't know an answer I will keep it blank.So how many no answers am I able to have in order to get a 600 or above?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend spending time focusing on building what you do know instead of trying to see how many you will have to leave blank. You have control of the former and not the later.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend spending time focusing on building what you do know instead of trying to see how many you will have to leave blank. You have control of the former and not the later.

Exactly. You can develop strategies to taking tests (e.g. eliminating wrong answers on multiple choice test to increase your probability of correct answers), but focusing too much on how many you don't have to answer to get the minimum score acceptable to you is not a great one.

Exactly. You can develop strategies to taking tests (e.g. eliminating wrong answers on multiple choice test to increase your probability of correct answers), but focusing too much on how many you don't have to answer to get the minimum score acceptable to you is not a great one.
Okay, thank you!

@ Psych .Meout,

I was scrolling through the forum and noticed you scored an 800 on the psychology test.I was wondering what was your study techniques. I have princeton review psychology gre and have being reading each section.Did you read each section and create flash cards?Also how frequently did you do the ETS practicequestions.

Okay, thank you!

@ Psych .Meout,

I was scrolling through the forum and noticed you scored an 800 on the psychology test.I was wondering what was your study techniques. I have princeton review psychology gre and have being reading each section.Did you read each section and create flash cards?Also how frequently did you do the ETS practicequestions.

Well, I didn't have a lot of time to study, I was busy with work, so I read through a used copy of this Gleitman psych intro textbook, though I can't recall which version I used.
Amazon product

Then, I read the Kaplan guide, though I don't that it really matters which study guide you use. I studied in the little bit of free time I had from the end of July to the beginning of September last year, so it really didn't take all that much to do well.

Basically, I'd recommend using any good intro textbook and any GRE specific study guide, though I'm not sure that either alone would be sufficient to cover the breadth of psychology topics they cover in the GRE. Regardless of which specific books and guides you pick and whether you use flashcards, outline-formatted notes, etc., use the principles you learned about cognitive function from undergrad. Connect what you are learning to what you already know and what you've been reading. Don't aim for maintenance rehearsal and other shallow methods of learning and memory. Make as many connections to the material as possible and make them as deep and meaningful as you can.

As far as practice questions go, I just did ETS' practice test before I did any reading to see where my strengths and weaknesses were and then did one of the Kaplan guide tests at the end to get more familiar with the format.

I took 5 days off to study for the psyche GRE. I used one of the Psych GRE books and took one Psych GRE practice test. I highlighted each name mentioned in the GRE book and the major contribution they made to the field (sometimes I highlighted two contributions). I wrote out a list of all of the contributors and their contributions. Then I took the practice test and scored it. I took the weak portions of the test and used Wikipedia to bookmark areas I needed to work on. I then spent the remaining days memorizing all the info relevant to my weaknesses and memorizing the list I made from the GRE book. I ended up in the 97th percentile. Albeit, so much of GRE psych is common sense. They ask questions that answer themselves. You can eliminate two or almost all incorrect questions by just looking at the answer choices on many of the questions. Not many people in the field were esoteric in their naming conventions. I think the verbal GRE and psych GRE are probably highly correlated when you drop experiential factors (I didn't have a formal psych background, and my percentile was the same for both).

Last edited:
I took 5 days off to study for the psyche GRE. I used one of the Psych GRE books and took one Psych GRE practice test. I highlighted each name mentioned in the GRE book and the major contribution they made to the field (sometimes I highlighted two contributions). I wrote out a list of all of the contributors and their contributions. Then I took the practice test and scored it. I took the weak portions of the test and used Wikipedia to bookmark areas I needed to work on. I then spent the remaining days memorizing all the info relevant to my weaknesses and memorizing the list I made from the GRE book. I ended up in the 97th percentile. Albeit, so much of GRE psych is common sense. They ask questions that answer themselves. You can eliminate two or almost all incorrect questions by just looking at the answer choices on many of the questions. Not many people in the field were esoteric in their naming conventions. I think the verbal GRE and psych GRE are probably highly correlated when you drop experiential factors (I didn't have a formal psych background, and my percentile was the same for both).

Thank you so much! In regards to the gre verbal how did you study for it? I will be taking the gre again and have continued memorizing words, and learning strategies. I am also in the process of utilizing New York times articles to help me study.

Thank you so much! In regards to the gre verbal how did you study for it? I will be taking the gre again and have continued memorizing words, and learning strategies. I am also in the process of utilizing New York times articles to help me study.

For the GRE verbal, I memorized the 500 most commonly used words and their definitions using a GRE flash card app. Then I continued to add words by referencing other GRE word lists online. I memorized suffixes and prefixes and their meanings, as well as common Latin derivatives. Then I learned the tricks for eliminating incorrect answers and guessing. I learned the timing and rhythm needed to get through the test quickly. I learned the strategies that work best for solving each subsection. I took practice tests in one of the GRE books and worked on my areas of weakness. Albeit, this was before they switched over to the new system, so I'm not sure how much is the same from 6-7 years ago. The books I found most useful were the "Advanced" versions, since they allowed me to raise my skills on the toughest questions using advanced strategies.

For the GRE verbal, I memorized the 500 most commonly used words and their definitions using a GRE flash card app. Then I continued to add words by referencing other GRE word lists online. I memorized suffixes and prefixes and their meanings, as well as common Latin derivatives. Then I learned the tricks for eliminating incorrect answers and guessing. I learned the timing and rhythm needed to get through the test quickly. I learned the strategies that work best for solving each subsection. I took practice tests in one of the GRE books and worked on my areas of weakness. Albeit, this was before they switched over to the new system, so I'm not sure how much is the same from 6-7 years ago. The books I found most useful were the "Advanced" versions, since they allowed me to raise my skills on the toughest questions using advanced strategies.
Okay , thank you very much!