Psychology Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDRxPnow

Clinical Psychology
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need assistance please! I am currently applying for psychology internship. Does anyone have excellent APPIC application essays to share? Also, any advise on a first time internship applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I say be the first PsyD to get accepted!!! The barriers are totally artificial... old men with old ideas.;)

Threads like these are a lot of help I think, especially considering I knew nothing about SDN until I was done with half of my interviews (and I did not have the insider knowledge or any help really from my undergrad school). Now that I know what information I wish I had known ahead of time to help in the application process, I am hoping to find out what I need to know for future reference also. In the end I think it helps that people can share advice for the whole process of going through doctoral programs such as.....what to think of early on to prepare and qualify for internships, which internships are "good", what you are doing after, licensing experiences, etc? Thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I recall seeing a website somewhere that lists APA intership sites. And they also show stats about many people apply and how many are accepted, along with what # of Ph.D.'s and Psy.D's. they take. Anyone know what website this is?

I actually applied to 20 sites (interviewed at less than half) and matched first time - but it took a lot of time and energy. Depending on your program and degree you may want to apply to more/less (take a look at your programs match rates).

I recommend being relatively sincere in the essays. As it's pretty easy to see what a program is looking for, and it helps if your goals actually do "match." As this isn't always 100% possible, you get to use your judgement on how to handle that.

http://gradpsych.apags.org/sep05/pulling.html

This article came out in APAGS last year and is all about how to address the essays. APA also put out a book on the applications process - it has a chapter on essays also.