Psychology masters??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahMn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting my psychology B.A. in June '10, and my gpa is fairly low (both cum. and psych 3.2). I want to work with eating disorders, so I would like to get into a clinical psych program. I haven't taken the GRE yet, I plan on taking a year off (so I'll take it in Dec. '10).

I have been a research assistant for 2 years in the psychology department as an undergrad.

What do you think my chances are of getting into a master's program if I score an average GRE score?? Do you think that clinical psych is the right path for EDs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be getting my psychology B.A. in June '10, and my gpa is fairly low (both cum. and psych 3.2). I want to work with eating disorders, so I would like to get into a clinical psych program. I haven't taken the GRE yet, I plan on taking a year off (so I'll take it in Dec. '10).

I have been a research assistant for 2 years in the psychology department as an undergrad.

What do you think my chances are of getting into a master's program if I score an average GRE score?? Do you think that clinical psych is the right path for EDs?

What kind of license are you trying to obtain with a masters degree in clinical psychology? From this, a whole series of considerations follow.

If you're just going for your LPC which you can receive at your Master's level of training, you still need a PhD supervisor to sign off on your work. However there's many Master's level clinical and counseling therapists who do a world of good in both therapy and research in the field of ED. I would suggest finding a book or other resource that deals with the roles of the clinician vs the counselor.

A 3.2 gpa with an average GRE score are probably not good enough for PhD programs. Those numbers are definitely not enough for competitive programs and are maybe passable at a very low tier Clinical psych PhD program.

The 2 years of lab experience is a bit better than average. How are you letters of recommendation? Strong letters can help balance some things out.

My suggestion is to take that year and really focus on getting a good GRE score, research/work in your field of interest, and research programs/professors that are doing what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA isn't really bad. It would be hard to get into a good PhD program, but you should be able to get into masters programs.
Many graduate schools focus more on your last 60 credits, so if you have a stronger GPA for those 60 it helps a lot.

2 years research experience is a great plus (especially if you attended a strong research university) and you have a focused interest so that's good.

You could try for a few mid/low end PhD programs that are of interest. However given your stats, I'd suggest a mid range master's program in either counseling or clinical. From there you could get your LPC for practice or set yourself up to be competitive for PhD.