PhD/PsyD Psychology post doc position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdoc001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As soon as I got an internship, I realized that it is also a time to think about a postdoctoral position.

I have one really basic question, do we all need to go through the appic matching (again) for this process? Or some people get a postdoctoral position at the same internship site? Or is this rare?

I would also really appreciate your general impression about this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As soon as I got an internship, I realized that it is also a time to think about a postdoctoral position.

I have one really basic question, do we all need to go through the appic matching (again) for this process? Or some people get a postdoctoral position at the same internship site? Or is this rare?

I would also really appreciate your general impression about this process.
No- APPIC Match route not required. Check regulations for post doctoral supervision requirements in any states you could ever imagine yourself working in, then add a few more states just in case, and be sure any post doctoral experience you get meets the necessary requirements.

For example, I received my post doctoral supervision in the context of actual jobs, rather than formal post-doc training positions.

check requirements of states you may want to practice in regarding what counts as a postdoc. I know very few ppl that went through APPIC for postdoc (except for people in neuro where it seems to be the norm). Depending on your internship site many times there is the opportunity to stay for postdoc (assuming you make a good impression). I had this optoin but also looked to see if other places in my preferred geographic location and area of practice had postdocs available. That's how I ended up in what has now become a post-postdoc "real" job at hte same location.

Members don't see this ad :)
check requirements of states you may want to practice in regarding what counts as a postdoc. I know very few ppl that went through APPIC for postdoc (except for people in neuro where it seems to be the norm). Depending on your internship site many times there is the opportunity to stay for postdoc (assuming you make a good impression). I had this optoin but also looked to see if other places in my preferred geographic location and area of practice had postdocs available. That's how I ended up in what has now become a post-postdoc "real" job at hte same location.

The neuro match is through APPCN and NMI, not APPIC.

Reactions: 1 users

Anyone know if this is also recommended for forensics?

I would think this is especially recommended for forensics (depending, I guess), as you may need to do some cases that cross state lines and thus need to be able to be granted a temp/exempt license in various states.

Otherwise, its just good sense to have any post-doctoral experience documented and be able to "count" in case you move. Which many psychologists do.