"Psychology Statistics" a math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does "Stats for Behavioral sciences" count in BCPM?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want it to. Could probably go either way, I counted it successfully.

does "Stats for Behavioral sciences" count in BCPM?
The classification of this course will be based solely on the primary content of the course itself. If the primary content of the Stats for Behavioral Sciences course qualifies as BCMP, the course will be classified as a BCMP course.

If you're still unsure about the course classification, feel free to check with the pre-med advisor at your school to obtain a (definitive) answer.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, all stats courses are basically the same, and the "for biology"/"for polysci"/"for psych" designations just refers to the types of examples they use. I would call this math and move on. Unless you want to call it psych for whatever reason, that will probably make it through too.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, I counted "Introduction to Psychological Statistics" as BCMP math in AMCAS successfully.

I don't think they'll flag it either way. My guess is that there's an automatic algorithm that cross-checks your classification against the departments the course is listed for in the course catalog and then flag it if there's an inconsistency. So if your psych stats class was cross-listed as both math and psychology, it probably wouldn't flag it either way if you listed it as BCPM or behavioral sciences.

IMy guess is that there's an automatic algorithm that cross-checks your classification against the departments the course is listed for in the course catalog and then flag it if there's an inconsistency.
I'm actually pretty sure it's just a person glancing at it and applying reasonable (very generous, really) judgement

psych stats was the only math course i took in college

thank God

Reactions: 1 user

yeah, it's important to check all of your med school requirements before you decide to graduate

i took psych stats only because i took AP credit in high school and that qualified for most schools

i did not apply to certain schools because they did not accept AP credit (eg. UCLA does not accept gen chem AP credit, and there was no way I was going to spend a semester learning about VSEPR theory again)