md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you want it to. Could probably go either way, I counted it successfully.

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
does "Stats for Behavioral sciences" count in BCPM?
The classification of this course will be based solely on the primary content of the course itself. If the primary content of the Stats for Behavioral Sciences course qualifies as BCMP, the course will be classified as a BCMP course.

If you're still unsure about the course classification, feel free to check with the pre-med advisor at your school to obtain a (definitive) answer.

Thank you.

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
In my experience, all stats courses are basically the same, and the "for biology"/"for polysci"/"for psych" designations just refers to the types of examples they use. I would call this math and move on. Unless you want to call it psych for whatever reason, that will probably make it through too.

Reactions: TheBiologist

SamBamShazam

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student
For what it's worth, I counted "Introduction to Psychological Statistics" as BCMP math in AMCAS successfully.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I don't think they'll flag it either way. My guess is that there's an automatic algorithm that cross-checks your classification against the departments the course is listed for in the course catalog and then flag it if there's an inconsistency. So if your psych stats class was cross-listed as both math and psychology, it probably wouldn't flag it either way if you listed it as BCPM or behavioral sciences.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
IMy guess is that there's an automatic algorithm that cross-checks your classification against the departments the course is listed for in the course catalog and then flag it if there's an inconsistency.
I'm actually pretty sure it's just a person glancing at it and applying reasonable (very generous, really) judgement

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm actually pretty sure it's just a person glancing at it and applying reasonable (very generous, really) judgement
They have now linked to the National Student Clearing House system which searches and/or store virtually all college catalogs in the country. Furthermore, making an educated guess on how they have implemented the system, each primary application runs thru software that compares all courses and titled listed to descriptions in the linked college catalogs. This likely has a rules-based/knowledge-based engine that has a confidence score for each listed course at to BCPM or OA as a percentage of likelihood. This may check things like department, terms in the description, etc. It would have various levels of "flags" say score of 65% is automatically accepted, score of 64%-41% need human checking with course in question and its college catalog description popping up automatically for review and , scores of 40% or less gets automatically reclassified. We shall see how this new system works

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
psych stats was the only math course i took in college
Just because AMCAS will accept a psych stats course as BCPM, does not mean an individual medical school will accept it as fulfilling a math requirement. This came up at a admissions conference a few years ago where one of the Michigan schools would not take psych stats or business stats as fulfilling the requirement

Last edited:

DingoPingo

5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah, it's important to check all of your med school requirements before you decide to graduate

i took psych stats only because i took AP credit in high school and that qualified for most schools

i did not apply to certain schools because they did not accept AP credit (eg. UCLA does not accept gen chem AP credit, and there was no way I was going to spend a semester learning about VSEPR theory again)