psychometrist position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion.x

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious about psychometrist positions as I would like to start working alongside Neuropsychologists to gain experience in test administering and day-to-day life. Does anyone know how one is supposed to get the certification and if it is needed to be competitive applicant for the position? Do practices/hospitals ever train people without much direct experience?

If anyone is a psychometrist, what is the job like and average pay?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm curious about psychometrist positions as I would like to start working alongside Neuropsychologists to gain experience in test administering and day-to-day life. Does anyone know how one is supposed to get the certification and if it is needed to be competitive applicant for the position? Do practices/hospitals ever train people without much direct experience?

15 years ago or more they did. And I was one. It was 33-40K back then (midwest). I had a masters degree though. It was educational and enjoyable...until it wasn't anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Certification can be helpful, as it may demonstrate to your potential boss that you know what you're doing. Some states also have certain requirements for psychometrists, so you'll probably want to check your state's psych-related regulations.

As for training, the short answer is: it depends. Some places will probably be happy to train while others may need someone who can come in and almost immediately be ready to go. Pay will also vary based on a variety of factors, including location, prior experience, actual job responsibilities, etc., although will probably be approximately at or above the range erg posted for full-time.

The job itself will probably primarily consist of administering and scoring various tests. Some people love it and make a career out of it, others can't stand it, and most seem to be able to enjoy it for a few years while they figure out what they want to do next.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Hello, I spent two years as a psychometrist before grad school. You learn how to administer and score tests REALLY well. To be honest, I got tired of testing pediatrics very quickly and it just wasn't the population for me. I much prefer adult assessment. It depends on the state whether you need a bachelor's or masters. I was able to work with a bachelor's and made maybe $17.50/hr starting in 2014 and ended at maybe $18.50/hr in 2016 (Midwest), but I believe most make more now with inflation/cost of living adjustments since 2016. I believe it would give you good experience if neuropsych is your goal. However, I don't think it's the end all be all for getting you into a PhD program if that's what you are hoping for. The most important thing for PhD program is to be active in research that is a good fit for labs. If you are able to do both (e.g., volunteer with a lab while working as a psychometrist), great, but otherwise research assistant type jobs or a masters program may be more helpful so that you are actively doing research. I personally did 2 years of full-time psychometrist work and then a 2-year master's program which made me competitive for a PhD program.

Ohh...I just realized I never answered your question about certification...certification is definitely not necessary...I've worked in 2 different neuropsych clinics and I don't think anyone I've worked with ever got the psychometrist certification. In fact, at my first clinic, we asked our clinic manager about getting it and she told us the clinic would not pay for us to get it, nor would they increase our salaries if we got it, so that was that. In my first psychometrist job, I was trained with no previous experience but I know the other clinic I worked at prefers people to come in with some experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I spent two years as a psychometrist before grad school. You learn how to administer and score tests REALLY well. To be honest, I got tired of testing pediatrics very quickly and it just wasn't the population for me. I much prefer adult assessment. It depends on the state whether you need a bachelor's or masters. I was able to work with a bachelor's and made maybe $17.50/hr starting in 2014 and ended at maybe $18.50/hr in 2016 (Midwest), but I believe most make more now with inflation/cost of living adjustments since 2016. I believe it would give you good experience if neuropsych is your goal. However, I don't think it's the end all be all for getting you into a PhD program if that's what you are hoping for. The most important thing for PhD program is to be active in research that is a good fit for labs. If you are able to do both (e.g., volunteer with a lab while working as a psychometrist), great, but otherwise research assistant type jobs or a masters program may be more helpful so that you are actively doing research. I personally did 2 years of full-time psychometrist work and then a 2-year master's program which made me competitive for a PhD program.

Ohh...I just realized I never answered your question about certification...certification is definitely not necessary...I've worked in 2 different neuropsych clinics and I don't think anyone I've worked with ever got the psychometrist certification. In fact, at my first clinic, we asked our clinic manager about getting it and she told us the clinic would not pay for us to get it, nor would they increase our salaries if we got it, so that was that. In my first psychometrist job, I was trained with no previous experience but I know the other clinic I worked at prefers people to come in with some experience.

This will be location and region dependent.

Thanks for all this info! Good to know...