Psychopharm resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a PGY-3 looking for a good, comprehensive psychopharm resource to review/brush up on things at this point in my training. I was looking at the NEI Master Psychopharmacology class for $250 and am curious about that as well as other resources. I'd like something that is both practical clinically and palatable/engaging. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry

Reactions: 2 users
I just got this book and it's awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of it before recently, but it's easy to read and full of good info. I also like the British spellings of some words. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got this book and it's awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of it before recently, but it's easy to read and full of good info. I also like the British spellings of some words. :)

Maudsley is a solid resource. I'm also partial to Stahl's prescriber's guide. Info specific for each med and the pages are well organized and almost like flashcards. There's a more in-depth version of it, but I like to carry the Prescriber's Guide on rotation with me because I think it's that useful.

For a neurobio approach Stahl’s (not the prescriber guide) is decent. For a more clinical approach I really like Ghaemi’s Clinical Psychopharmacology: Principles and Practice which just came out this past January. It’s well written, engaging, not dry, and largely evidenced based from clinical data v. theoretical assumptions from pharmacokinetics and dynamics. I prefer Maudsley’s as a go to for choosing meds, dosing, how to titrate and taper, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
For a neurobio approach Stahl’s (not the prescriber guide) is decent. For a more clinical approach I really like Ghaemi’s Clinical Psychopharmacology: Principles and Practice which just came out this past January. It’s well written, engaging, not dry, and largely evidenced based from clinical data v. theoretical assumptions from pharmacokinetics and dynamics. I prefer Maudsley’s as a go to for choosing meds, dosing, how to titrate and taper, etc.

Stahls is ridiculously tedious..idk maybe I’m lazy but it’s not an easy read and doesn’t seem very clinically relevant when he goes over 30 receptor subtypes for each drug..I could be wrong tho

I have been very curious about Ghaemi's Psychopharm book. Good to know what the new holy writ of the bipolar imperialists will be.

Reactions: 1 user
Stahls is ridiculously tedious..idk maybe I’m lazy but it’s not an easy read and doesn’t seem very clinically relevant when he goes over 30 receptor subtypes for each drug..I could be wrong tho

I found Stahl’s pretty straightforward and easy to go through. It’s dry, but maybe took a week for me to read. I appreciate the neurobio approach and that he repeatedly emphasizes the theoretical aspect regarding psychopharm. I do find it oversimplified, but it’s at least a starting ground from a biological perspective. I don’t know that there is a single go to psychopharm text, but I feel Stahl’s, Maudsley’s, and Ghaemi provides an overall balanced picture.

I have been very curious about Ghaemi's Psychopharm book. Good to know what the new holy writ of the bipolar imperialists will be.

Lol - He can be a bit dogmatic and I don’t agree with all of his opinions, but I really appreciate his approach compared to other psychopharm texts. And as mentioned above, I feel that when combined with the other psychopharm texts it provides an overall balanced picture.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking for organ system manifestations related to side effects of medications, then Managing the Side Effects of Psychotropic Medications by Goldberg and Ernst has been my go to.

Reactions: 3 users