Resources for independent billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peonage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently still in residency, about to start my moonlighting gigs. I was given the option to do my own billing vs. use the clinic's billing servicer which takes a 7% cut. I'm going to go with the latter for now until I get my bearings, but can someone direct me to resources to do my own billing or what that entails. I am generally familiar with the E/M coding but anything to help me from ground up would be useful. I would have tried asking my seniors but no one is moonlighting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For a moonlighting gig man I wouldn't even consider doing my own billing. Up to you but that extra headache of chasing down checks and following up with insurance is barely worth it for a primary gig, let alone something on the side. As long as this clinic does a decent job at billing and does some basic follow ups with insurance denials / appeals then I'd just use them.

Reactions: 4 users
Use their biller. 7% is on the lower end of the range of what billers charge. It's not just CPT coding, but submitting this to the insurance company, following up on denied or delayed claims, etc. They might also help with credentialing and contracting with insurance companies, making sure your CAQH is up to date, making sure you've done all the admin for Medicare. It's a pain.

Reactions: 1 users