Psychopharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avocadobunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently began a practicum on an inpatient psychiatric unit and I am working closely with 4 psychiatrists. While I am learning a lot of information very quickly I am finding it difficult to keep all the medications straight with my limited previous experience (a psychopharm class and a year at a voluntary inpatient facility). This placement is very fast paced and I am wasting time trying to google various medications. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation for a psychopharm book that covers psychotropic medications and also fairly common medications such as blood pressure meds or medications for diabetes, etc. Ideally I would like a book that has been written for someone other than an MD, more like an introduction to different drugs, interaction information and basic dosing. I have been looking on Amazon and keep finding books that are either written for the public or MD's, therefore either not enough information or so much I would have to google half the information in the book! If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I recently began a practicum on an inpatient psychiatric unit and I am working closely with 4 psychiatrists. While I am learning a lot of information very quickly I am finding it difficult to keep all the medications straight with my limited previous experience (a psychopharm class and a year at a voluntary inpatient facility). This placement is very fast paced and I am wasting time trying to google various medications. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation for a psychopharm book that covers psychotropic medications and also fairly common medications such as blood pressure meds or medications for diabetes, etc. Ideally I would like a book that has been written for someone other than an MD, more like an introduction to different drugs, interaction information and basic dosing. I have been looking on Amazon and keep finding books that are either written for the public or MD's, therefore either not enough information or so much I would have to google half the information in the book! If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Clinical-Psychopharmacology-Alan-Schatzberg/dp/1585623776

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Mental-...&keywords=pdr+for+mental+health+professionals

Also, rxlist.com is a great, reliable website.

I like Essential Psychopharmacology by Stahl or Primer of Drug Action by Julien

Members don't see this ad :)
Dissenting opinion: for me reading about all this would largely a waste. Beyond a desk reference, I think the best thing you can do is get experience, observe (and learn from it), and ask questions as you do. It really thr best way to pick things up. Its what practicum is for.

I agree that concise references are best. There is no point in trying to memorize a massive textbook of drugs. You'll get more familiar with them as you get experience.

I like Condensed Psychopharmacology 2013: A Pocket Reference for Psychiatry and Psychotropic Medications by Rappa and Viola (pharmacists). The use of comic sans is unfortunate, though.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I definitely agree learning everything about psychopharmacology at this point would be a waste of time but definitely something I would like to pursue post licensure. For now I need something I can stick in my bag and pull out so I have some clue as to why one SSRI was chosen over another, etc... Thanks again for the recommendations! Has anyone every heard of the Tarascon Pharmacopoeia? I have a feeling this may not be as psychologist friendly as I would like...

Thank you for all the suggestions. I definitely agree learning everything about psychopharmacology at this point would be a waste of time but definitely something I would like to pursue post licensure. For now I need something I can stick in my bag and pull out so I have some clue as to why one SSRI was chosen over another, etc... Thanks again for the recommendations! Has anyone every heard of the Tarascon Pharmacopoeia? I have a feeling this may not be as psychologist friendly as I would like...

To be honest, there won't always be a reason why a med in one class is chosen over the other meds in the same class. It is generally as much of an "art" as a "science", so they like to say. A clinician may just feel like xyz is better than abc, so generally default to that medication unless there are specific reasons they need to change to abc, such as bad side effects, drug interactions, different half lives, etc.

The clinical psychopharmacology manual I referenced above is helpful- it is wordy, but within each SSRI it generally discusses which medication within each class you would pick and why, or what each drug is "known" for within each class. I think rxlist.com is better if you're looking up something in the moment (recommended by my very great psychopharm teacher), but if you want to read through and better understand certain classes of meds, or further your understanding, then I think the manual is a good choice.