psychophysical discrimination testing meaning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I GET BUCKETS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ran into this word on the AAMC psyc/soc section bank answer choices. Can someone explain what it tries to achieve?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, sorry for the delayed response. It’s been a while since i did psych/soc stuff but it would help to provide a snapshot of the problem to provide context.

But I looked online for your question and came across the following response:

“Operational Span Testing: Test to see the general capacity of working memory tasks, patients are asked to read and verify a simple math problem (is 4/2 -1 = 1?) then read a word after such as SNOW, after doing a series of problems and words they are asked to recall the word that followed each operation. -Predicts verbal abilities and reading comprehension even though the subject is solving a math problem. Argues that it implies a general pool of resources that is used in every type of working memory situation

Psychophysical Discrimination Testing- varying a physical stimulus slightly and observing the effect on a subject’s experience or behavior in order to better understand perceptual processing. (ex change the size slightly between two objects until subject notices a difference)”

upload_2019-1-24_15-12-26.jpeg

Hope this helps