PT Aide responsibilities in my PTCAS App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a PT Aide for about 1.5 years in a clinic which lets me do everything but stretch the patients. So, I do ultrasound, put electric stimulation on patients, hot packs/cold packs, and do actual mayofascial release (massage) even though I am not certified. This place is obviously a little sketchy. My question is should I be honest with what I do as a PT Aide in my PTCAS application/essay/interview or should I just stick with saying that I supervise patients and make sure they are doing their exercises correctly?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not mention it if I were you. It'd be like applying to the Police Academy and say "I know how to catch burglars. I used to be one!"

I hope you recognize the possibility that much of your observations may be teaching you what not to do and that much of what physical therapists traditionally have done is not physical therapy at all but instead brainless fluff that actually makes no sense and may actually do harm. Keeping this in mind, know that you definitely do not know physical therapy and that's what the schooling is for. You go to school to learn and understand physical therapy. Physical therapy is not monkey see monkey do. And it is not just something you have to do to get the license because you already know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you recognize the possibility that much of your observations may be teaching you what not to do and that much of what physical therapists traditionally have done is not physical therapy at all but instead brainless fluff that actually makes no sense and may actually do harm. Keeping this in mind, know that you definitely do not know physical therapy and that's what the schooling is for. You go to school to learn and understand physical therapy. Physical therapy is not monkey see monkey do. And it is not just something you have to do to get the license because you already know.

Yeah that's why I'm going to PT school.

Reactions: 1 user

Also, my question was how much of what i do as a PT Aide should i be honest about in my application/interview, and how much should i leave unsaid.

Also, my question was how much of what i do as a PT Aide should i be honest about in my application/interview, and how much should i leave unsaid.
I don't know for sure. I personally am turned off by an applicants "experience" in "PT" like you describe though. I would lean towards leaving it unsaid.

I don't know for sure. I personally am turned off by an applicants "experience" in "PT" like you describe though. I would lean towards leaving it unsaid.

Yeah the office is shady and cheap

Do not put this on your application in any way. I would just list PT aide and leave it at that. If asked in an interview, I would say "I assisted with X, Y, Z".

Yeah the office is shady and cheap

If you know it's shady, why are you still working there? Seems like a good time to at least voice your concerns to your manager or put in your notice.

If you know it's shady, why are you still working there? Seems like a good time to at least voice your concerns to your manager or put in your notice.

I'm working there because I need to make a living. My manager knows and doesn't care. If i say, "I really shouldn't be massaging people" she will just fire me.

Are you using this therapist as a reference by any chance?

I'm working there because I need to make a living. My manager knows and doesn't care. If i say, "I really shouldn't be massaging people" she will just fire me.

Do it then. Tell her that you do not feel comfortable doing soft tissue work on people. If she really does fire you for that then that is not a legitimate place for a pre-professional student to be working. If you know darn well that what you are doing is both illegal and unethical and you aren't addressing it and/or pursuing better employment, then what does that say about how you will practice when you inevitably find yourself in a similar situation as a licensed PT?

As for your original question, people who have been techs have no significant statistical advantage in the admissions process over people who have not, assuming everyone has met the schools requirements for observation hours. So just put it in like you would anything else and don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. I've been a PT Aide for about 1.5 years in a clinic which lets me do everything but stretch the patients. So, I do ultrasound, put electric stimulation on patients, hot packs/cold packs, and do actual mayofascial release (massage) even though I am not certified. This place is obviously a little sketchy. My question is should I be honest with what I do as a PT Aide in my PTCAS application/essay/interview or should I just stick with saying that I supervise patients and make sure they are doing their exercises correctly?

Thanks.

If you know this is illegal and unethical, I'm confused why you haven't reported the PT/business to the proper authorities (eg. your state board)? If you are truly interested in joining the profession and practicing ethically, don't you think you are bound to uphold ethical standards now?

I wouldn't mind you doing some soft tissue work if you were able to demonstrate some competency (massage therapist, etc.), as long as they're not asking you for an assessment or have you consult those patients post treatment.