PT and Eating Disorders/Addiction

Started by SPT2017
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPT2017

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I recently have become very interested in the psychological benefits of physical therapy and exercise. I have found a good deal of research that supports the notion that physical activity has very positive results on people recovering from drug addictions, eating disorders, depression, self-harm, etc. However, as I look at residential treatment centers throughout the US, I have noticed that none of them incorporate this physical treatment into their "holistic" approach.

I imagined there would be a job somewhere that involved evaluating these patient's capacity for exercise and/or teaching them healthy exercises, how to care for their bodies, etc.... Or just generally helping their bodies recover from an unhealthy lifestyle and/or stress they have been through... So that they can leave the residential treatment center stronger and physically healthy.... But it seems this job doesn't exist? Is there a reason for this? Or is there a field out there that I have missed? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
 
The reason you don't see those jobs is because Medicare and insurance companies are not going to fund "evaluating these patient's capacity for exercise and/or teaching them healthy exercises, how to care for their bodies, etc.... Or just generally helping their bodies recover from an unhealthy lifestyle and/or stress they have been through."
You could always cater to self-pay patients, but that market is much, much smaller.
 
You could always cater to self-pay patients, but that market is much, much smaller.

You don't think there is a large market for wellness? When I asked one of my professors where the most growth is, she said wellness, especially in geriatrics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the market for wellness is there; the problem is getting people to pay for it. Most seniors are on a budget and would balk at paying another monthly fee (if they're self-pay). Until Medicare and insurance companies fully embrace and reimburse PTs for "wellness", it won't be a moneymaker for us.
 
Many residential facilities employ personal trainers, yoga instructors, etc. to help with exercise. Would you argue that they should employ PTs instead?

And as far as ED treatment facilities go, exercise is a big no-no. If you're sick enough to be in inpatient treatment, your job is to eat and gain weight. Even taking the stairs more than one flight is not allowed. Speaking from personal experience with multiple facilities.
 
Hi everyone,

I recently have become very interested in the psychological benefits of physical therapy and exercise. I have found a good deal of research that supports the notion that physical activity has very positive results on people recovering from drug addictions, eating disorders, depression, self-harm, etc. However, as I look at residential treatment centers throughout the US, I have noticed that none of them incorporate this physical treatment into their "holistic" approach.

I imagined there would be a job somewhere that involved evaluating these patient's capacity for exercise and/or teaching them healthy exercises, how to care for their bodies, etc.... Or just generally helping their bodies recover from an unhealthy lifestyle and/or stress they have been through... So that they can leave the residential treatment center stronger and physically healthy.... But it seems this job doesn't exist? Is there a reason for this? Or is there a field out there that I have missed? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.


My first job was at Methodist Hospital in suburban Minneapolis - they had an inpatient eating diorders unit and PT was inolved to some degree. Looks like they still are - http://www.parknicollet.com/SpecialtyCenters/Melrose-Center/Our-Services
 
You don't think there is a large market for wellness? When I asked one of my professors where the most growth is, she said wellness, especially in geriatrics.
And Medicare pays how much for that?

All due respect to your professor, but the market for geriatric wellness is going to mediated by how that segment is reimbursed. With Medicare being the largest third party payor for geriatric patients, I don't think we'll see any significant growth in that area for a long time, if ever.
 
And Medicare pays how much for that?

All due respect to your professor, but the market for geriatric wellness is going to mediated by how that segment is reimbursed. With Medicare being the largest third party payor for geriatric patients, I don't think we'll see any significant growth in that area for a long time, if ever.

I agree but we're definitely going to need more PTs treating geriatric patients. I too am skeptical that there's going to be a huge demand for wellness.
 
good,Even taking the stairs more than one flight is not allowed. Speaking from personal experience with multiple facilities.thanks
d5HleJ
 
Hi everyone,

. However, as I look at residential treatment centers throughout the US, I have noticed that none of them incorporate this physical treatment into their "holistic" approach.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I did a Masters degree (non-PT) in NOLA, and I was a contract PT to Tulane Univ inpatient psych hospital. Saw lots of folks with eating disorders (and we came up with a structured program within the limits of their allowed energy expenditure), as well as some people with dementia, chronic pain (admitted), and drug recovery. My role was consult and provide the patient and staff an exercise prescription or whatever else I thought would be appropriate (I did a trial of TENS for one patient, but it was a little while ago 🙂 ). I saw each patient no more than 3 times, but the majority were 1 time just to consult. There was a small treatment area there, so I could do a GXT or other exercise test, as well as other tests I thought were indicated. And it was reimbursed, but I am guessing part of DRG. I imagine there are other hospitals that have a similar set up, but it probably requires going to the web site and see what PT services are provided.