Pt and pa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxwell0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I am applying to a PT program for Fall 2011 admission. If I don't get in, I plan on doing a 2-year PTA program and reapplying. This is my dilemma. I decided against medical school for age reasons, but was seriously looking into PA because I love clinical medicine (plus, as a PA I can move between specialties). I also love PT. After I finish with PT school, I am considering doing a 2.5 year Master's in PA. Have any of you ever herard of this? Or even considered it yourselves? I would probably work part-time as a PA and part-time as a PT. Have I completely lost my marbles?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of PT's going into Med school after working a couple years. I have never met a PT/PA. I dont think you've lost your marbles, but if you think about it, you could work as a PA with a Physiatrist (Rehab M.D.) and then not go into PT. Or go to PTA school and then PA school. Unless you got into state schools for PT and PA school, thats going to be alot of money on education.

I saw that Univ of St Augustine is launching two new programs: a combined MS in OT with DPT, and an orthopedic PA. I think it's a lot of money in loans to do both a DPT and a PA, and remember, working 2 part-time jobs may not get you health care benefits or a 401k. If you're unsure, I would go with a general PA and do rotations in neuro and ortho.
I also thought about PA or nurse practitioner, but I want to spend time with my patients. In a hospital or in a practice setting, PA/NP is like a doctor--10 minutes in and out the door. As a PT, I would be able to spend more time with my patients. I've been in PT twice for fairly significant injuries, and really got to know the PT's and PTA's at the clinics. It all depends on what you want to do.
If you do both, you might be able to offer combined services in a clinic that needs that kind of flexibility. There is a place near me for autistic and developmentally challenged outpatient care, and they have audiologists, PTs, OTs, PAs, MDs, dentists, you name it. That way you could have one full time job with benefits. I'm on the board of their major annual fundraiser, and they are already asking me to get a nurse practitioner with my DPT--but I have to get into a school first!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do both, you might be able to offer combined services in a clinic that needs that kind of flexibility. There is a place near me for autistic and developmentally challenged outpatient care, and they have audiologists, PTs, OTs, PAs, MDs, dentists, you name it. That way you could have one full time job with benefits. I'm on the board of their major annual fundraiser, and they are already asking me to get a nurse practitioner with my DPT--but I have to get into a school first!!

Can you expand a bit on your employers motivations for asking this of you? Just flexibility alone?

Also, why ask for NP over PA when you stated PA's are already employed at this clinic? Are you already by chance a nurse of some level for the NP suggestion?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm currently active duty working on an associates and when I get out I'll have 4-6 years of college paid for. I was first intending on becoming a pta but I can't decide if it would be smarter to go dpt or pa after. Which would be a smoother transition?