PT Board Exam - Review Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlw237

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good review books that you used for the Liscensure Exam? Not to sure which ones are the best. I don't take it till next year, but wanted to study a little over my next three clinicals.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, if you're not taking the boards for a whole year, don't study for it now. You only need 6-8 weeks before the exam to review the material using a study guide. You will be fine!

Anyways, past graduates from my school recommended O'Sullivan & Siegelman TherapyEd NPTE Review and Study Guide. They said that the practice exams are hard and that if you score 70-80% on them you will do fine on the actual exam. This is the only book I've seen my classmates buy (me included). They also mentioned Scorebuilders PT Exam Study Guide, however they said the practice exams are a lot easier than the actual exam. My current Clinical Instructor told me she used the Scorebuilders study guide and felt like the board exam was 10 times harder, so I don't recommend that one.

osullivan is the only thing u need. scorebuilders is a waste. you really just need 6 weeks of solid studying...no need to worry yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with NEWDPT31 that you do not need to study so far in advance. I recently passed my board exam on my first attempt. Here is what I did to give you a baseIine on how to approach this tough and tricky exam. I used the latest edition of Scorebuilders review book instead of the Osulllivan because it was easier to follow. In my opinion, Osullivan was extremely detailed and I only used it as a reference. In addition I purchased 2 sample tests, called PEAT, from the federation/board people. Also I bought the Ipad App from Scorebuilders and found it somewhat helpful but very handy when not at home.

I studied for 3 weeks, 5-6 days a week for about 2-4 hours a day. First thing I did...took sample test#1 to see where I was at. I went over the answers, analyzed my weaknesses and studied for the next 2 days. Then took sample test#2 and repeated the same process. I took 5 sample tests and my scores ranged from 65%-75%. I think setting up a timeline before the exam is imperativet so that you stay on track. Good Luck!

I agree with NEWDPT31 that you do not need to study so far in advance. I recently passed my board exam on my first attempt. Here is what I did to give you a baseIine on how to approach this tough and tricky exam. I used the latest edition of Scorebuilders review book instead of the Osulllivan because it was easier to follow. In my opinion, Osullivan was extremely detailed and I only used it as a reference. In addition I purchased 2 sample tests, called PEAT, from the federation/board people. Also I bought the Ipad App from Scorebuilders and found it somewhat helpful but very handy when not at home.

I studied for 3 weeks, 5-6 days a week for about 2-4 hours a day. First thing I did...took sample test#1 to see where I was at. I went over the answers, analyzed my weaknesses and studied for the next 2 days. Then took sample test#2 and repeated the same process. I took 5 sample tests and my scores ranged from 65%-75%. I think setting up a timeline before the exam is imperativet so that you stay on track. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend working part time while you study so you can keep the material fresh and also to have a job lined up to turn into full-time once you pass the boards? I'm not sure if I want to go that route or just wait til I pass the boards (mind you, due to fixed date testing I have to wait 2 1/2 months after graduation to take the exam so that's why I'm thinking I'd like to start working).

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend working part time while you study so you can keep the material fresh and also to have a job lined up to turn into full-time once you pass the boards? I'm not sure if I want to go that route or just wait til I pass the boards (mind you, due to fixed date testing I have to wait 2 1/2 months after graduation to take the exam so that's why I'm thinking I'd like to start working).

The only downside to working in PT after graduation/before boards is the added pressure and maybe the pay depending on your state. Just imagine your boss and coworkers expecting you to pass the boards and what if you don't ...very awkward feeling. Also you will probably be doing PT/PTA level work and getting paid as a tech unless you are in a state that grants temporary licenses then your pay will be higher.
Some of my classmates took vacations, caught up with family/friends, and got their resumes ready while waiting for boards while others started to work right away. I think it depends largely on your financial situation.

Our department gives us the one by Giles as a Christmas present in our 3rd year lol. I've definitely heard the best things about O'Sullivan though and I will purchase that in addition.