PT Clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTapp

DPT
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it work? Do you basically get what you want or is it basically a lottery draw? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My school, as I would expect most, have a lottery system.

We also have a lottery system. Whoever draws #1 has first pick, whoever draws #36 has last, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended Marquette University. Each student chose top 3 clinical sites for each rotation, wrote down his/her initials under these choices listed on a dry erase board, and met with other students to decide who was going where. Most students were willing to compromise, but there were a few disagreements to make life interesting:).

We also had a lottery system. However, if you went out on a limb and set up the contacts and started the ball rolling for a contract for a clinical site, then that place was yours.

We put a choice of 4-5 top choices, but they usually try to put us around a 30-45 minute drive from our home so one person doesn;t get a clinical 90 minutes from their home and another gets one 1 mile (if that makes sense)

Third years get first choice, followed by second years, then us first years at CSUN

We put a choice of 4-5 top choices, but they usually try to put us around a 30-45 minute drive from our home so one person doesn;t get a clinical 90 minutes from their home and another gets one 1 mile (if that makes sense)

This reminds me, if you're looking for information the way different schools' clinical programs are set up... at our school we are required to go out of town for at least one rotation. Most students do this for their 2wk clinical (shortest), unless they are from out of town in which case they will probably pick their hometown for the longest one.

also, in our third year we have to choose an advanced track (adv peds, adv neuro, adv ortho, etc) and there is no longer a lottery system when choosing for our final internships. we rank our top 5 and the DCE's choose, based on best fit, location, grades, etc. those in the specific tracks get higher priority than the others for the respective clinical site focus. (eg. i was in adv ortho but had to wait till all my neuro classmates had their placements prior to me getting a neuro internship...) Worked out pretty well as i like to travel so i got what I wanted! Didn't work so well for those fighting for spots in NYC and didn't have this luxury.