PT License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnc123

XNavyChick
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start applying for a tech position after the holidays and looking on monster and career builder, a lot of the positions I see don't require experience (which I lack) but they do want you to have a license.

I'm in IL and when looking at the application, it doesn't say anything about being currently working as a tech. It sounds like as long as you have $40 and a HS diploma that's all you need. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm thinking if I get the license, it will show some initiative and hopefully help land me some experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

See, i have a question too: if i want to become a tech, do I just take the test and get a license and then I can apply at pharmacies?

Yes, you are correct. Illinois only requires you to be a high school graduate or currently attending high school in order to be licensed as a pharmacy technician. Everyone who works in Illinois is required to be licensed, what would really set you apart from others would be if you were certified. You can go to www.ptcb.org to learn about the certification exam.