PT Lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manzielin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious of how physical therapists live. Anyone willing to share? What do you do on the weekends? Do you find your work to be stressful? Is money ever an issue? Are you happy?

Members don't see this ad.

Money is not an issue for PT's mostly. But it depens on your expenses too.

PTs are well paid. Your question is not correct, because money and happiness are not the same thing.

SO, one can be very happy with modest income and other can be never happy with decent amount. It depends on your attitude and your inner state of being.

Reactions: 1 users
pass-NPTE, I think you read that money makes the OP happy, there is clearly punctuation between happy and money.

OP, I chase my kids, play golf wednesday afternoons, have 3/4 weekends off, work is only stressful because of personnel issues. Money was an issue early on but after 5 years it was much better, then I bought/built a big house so was cash poor again for a few years. I still get to travel and always seem to find the money I need and often the money for things I want. I am very happy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
pass-NPTE, I think you read that money makes the OP happy, there is clearly punctuation between happy and money.

OP, I chase my kids, play golf wednesday afternoons, have 3/4 weekends off, work is only stressful because of personnel issues. Money was an issue early on but after 5 years it was much better, then I bought/built a big house so was cash poor again for a few years. I still get to travel and always seem to find the money I need and often the money for things I want. I am very happy.
Happiness is all that counts to me. Thanks for your response!

I am a married PT (5 years out of school). We have 3 cats and don't plan on having kids. We do a lot of hiking, and we also create/record music. We do indoor rock climbing and dine out a lot. I don't make a lot of money, but I'm happy! I choose to work 3 days a week at a "real job" and then I work on my website on the other two. It's awesome! The best thing about PT is the flexibility. What other job allows you to simply up and decide to work 3 days a week and pursue other goals the other two? If you get a per diem gig, you can still bring in a fair amount of income doing that. You won't get rich, but you won't starve, and you'll have the opportunity to lead a life with unmatched work-life balance :)

I am a married PT (5 years out of school)...

I interned at an outpatient clinic and one of the PT's there worked three days a week so she could spend more time with her newborn son. There aren't too many professions that allow the flexibility that PT allows. You can work in any state in any setting, part time, full time, or PRN. You don't have to work 12-hour shifts like nurses and you have a much better work-life balance than physicians.

Reactions: 1 user