PT or OT ... comparison???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

debimags

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am 28 years old and thinking highly about changing careers (I am coming from an art/design background) and am very interested in either OT or PT. I plan on shadowing some professionals in both fields this summer, to see which would be a better fit for me, but was interested in hearing from the board as well....

What would persuade me to do one field over the other?
i am interested in hearing what working professionals in both areas have to say about there jobs.

I seem to be leaning more towards PT personally... i am afraid that OT might start to bore me. But really Im not sure, so if your an OT please let me knoe what you think!
However, coming from an art background and seeing that it seems way more competitive and difficult to pursue PT over OT, is scaring the hell out of me. Any advice???

thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I too had an art (BFA photography) & science (BS microbiology) degrees before starting PT school at 31... As long as you fulfill the pre-req's and admit requirements, I don't think having a degree in art will make you any less competitive for either profession. In fact, it may help you stand out from the main field if you sell yourself correctly.

Creativity is a GREAT characteristic in an OT particularly AND is also great in a PT! I think you'll be fine with your Art background.

I really think observing both fields will give you a good idea on which one you like the most!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, just that lil bit of encouragement really made my day. coming from an art background and having not had ANY science or math courses in almost 12 years seems so daunting. and reading how competitive PT schools seem to be, i have to say, it was starting to really seem like going back to school wouldnt be an option. but maybe it is.

is it possible to just fulfill all the pre-reqs and volunteer requirements and still be competitive enough to get into a pt school?
(without having an undergrad degree in a science/PT related field)

again, thanks for the encouragement!

wow, just that lil bit of encouragement really made my day. coming from an art background and having not had ANY science or math courses in almost 12 years seems so daunting. and reading how competitive PT schools seem to be, i have to say, it was starting to really seem like going back to school wouldnt be an option. but maybe it is.

is it possible to just fulfill all the pre-reqs and volunteer requirements and still be competitive enough to get into a pt school?
(without having an undergrad degree in a science/PT related field)

again, thanks for the encouragement!

As long as you have good grades in the science prereqs, you should be OK. Try to aim for 3.5 at least on all the prereqs. I found that they look at this factor very heavily. It makes sense since the schools want to ascertain that you can weather the rigors of hard science classes. Just plan for them in the right order so you don't waste time. I think there are 38-45 credits of prereqs that are required by PT schools (some, like UMES, requires microbiology in addition to the rest of the core set, or VCU, requires a Philosophy course in addition to the rest of the core set, etc.) Good luck.

During one of my PT interviews, an interviewer made a parallel between artistic types becoming OTs and people with athletic-related injuries becoming PTs. I thought it was accurate in some cases, and I happen to know of one OT that was previously involved in art as a bachelor's degree and she chose OT because she felt that she couldn't make a living with art.

I have to agree with most of the advice on this issue. I have an English degree but still managed to make it through the "daunting science" pre-requisites (some worse than others for sure). If you are intimidated just start with one class and ease into it. It may take you longer but will reduce your stress. I wanted to add that on the rehabilitation site for the school I am attending (University of Washington to finish my undergrad) they encouraged a liberal arts background (especially for ot). You should not be worried about that, just jump through the hoops to get what you need to done!! I would also add that although my heart is leanign towards OT, PT is great too!!

thanks for the parallels btw art and therapy.
i am leaning more towards PT, and soon i will be visiting UCSF to see how i should approach the long haul towards PT. Im not sure if they will suggest an entirely new bachelors degree in the sciences (yikes) or just a long list of pre-reqs before i can apply to a masters PT program... in which case i plan on doing just what you suggested -- start slow and learn what i need to learn. (be challenged but not overwhelmed to the point of losing it).

i realize that PT masters programs are super competitive. do most masters pograms work with students that are applying that didnt get in? like, do they advise you on what will improve your chances? what do students do if you just cant get accepted anywhere?

thanks!

wow. photography to microbiology! thats amazing. its interesting how many artists tend to also lean towards the sciences. did you find the switch difficult?

Physical therapy deals more on ambulation and Occupational Therapy on skilled motor tasks

Physical therapy deals more on ambulation and Occupational Therapy on skilled motor tasks

That is a pretty pathetic generalization. PTs do much much more than that. In many settings we are asked to essentially do the orthopedic evaluation on the patient rather than sending them to an orthopedist. primary care docs trust us to help them decide when more expensive diagnostic tests are warranted.

Arlene evidently works on or has experience with only skilled nursing facilities or hospital inpatient settings, and even in those settings, her characterization is pathetic because any good PT worth his or her salt would be offering much much more to their patients than "dealing with ambulation"

Sorry about the above rant. If you really want to know the difference, shadow several PTs and several OTs in different settings. There are PTs and OTs that work in hospitals, schools, and outpatient settings. Some are hand therapists some are not.

For me, a PT, to tell you how OT and PT are different is obviously going to give you a biased point of view. Same with an OT giving the same comparison. I would base my description of OTs on the few that I have worked with. Some are very weak, some are very strong. It really depends on the individual and somewhat on the demands of the setting in which they work.

That is a pretty pathetic generalization. PTs do much much more than that.

As do OTs.

Some of the "artsy" skills may be better suited toward OT coursework (at least when I was in school in late 90s). But creativity will take a therapist a LONG WAY in his/her respective career. Several of the treatments you'll do as an OT can focus well around art/craft-related activities.

Either way, go for what you think suits you best.

dc

Hi there, I was so happy to find some of these posts. I have a BA in Film and am seriously considering a Masters in OT.

This summer I'm starting on my prereqs... Bio, Anatomy and Psychology, and then next semester I'll continue from there. Those of you in similar positions - how's it going?? :) Any advice from folks on making up for lost time and catching up in the sciences? Admissions advice would of course be welcome as well. I want to make sure I do everything necessary... I worry a bit about my odds of being accepted.

Anyway, maybe we can chat and share tips as things move forward!

hey happyhealthy,
i was the original poster...the career changer coming from an art background as well. i have been doing a ton of research regarding getting schools, pre-reqs, and have had alot of advising meetings as well. it basically doesnt matter what your bachelors degree is in, as long as you do and do well in your science pre-reqs. i started some of mine, the psychology ones, but i have learned that its going to take me way longer than expected to finish the rest. i have to do about a years worth of math just to get me into the chem and physics classes. (i havent taken math since 8th grade so i didnt place well on a placement test). so that adds on another year of pre-reqs for me.
as a career changer, and coming from such a different background (art)...i have to say that i have my good days - when im feeling excited about getting into this field - and i have terrible days - where the amount of time its going to take me, and the worry of not even getting into a school, overwhelms me greatly.
but hopefully, the more pre-reqs i start doing, the calmer ill feel about this change and the goal wont seem that far away.
if you have any questions or want to chat, feel free to write back.
cheers