PT Program Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLynn2007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new here and have a few questions for students who have already gone through their PT program interviews already.

I am trying to gather some information for an article I am putting together to help other students who are preparing for their interviews. Just the few questions below will help a ton.

1. How did you best deal with some of your nerves before your interview?
2. Did you take advantage of any practice opportunities?
3. What is your best piece of advice for students getting ready to interview?
4. Looking back is there anything you would have done differently?
5. Could you briefly describe your interview experience?

Thanks so much and I do hope this is ok to post here.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's great you're writing an article to help students with the interview process. I haven't gone on any interviews this year yet but went on three interviews last year. I was really nervous and there are a few things I with I had done and know I need to do this year if I want to get accepted anywhere.

Firstly, I know it sounds obvious but really know why you want to pursue a career in physical therapy. Practice your answer and physically explain it to someone and get feedback making sure you're not rambling and that your answer is clear and to the point. It may seem awkward or uncomfortable but also practice saying your answers to the mirror. As a PT you'll have to have excellent verbal expression to explain exercises to individuals and interact with patients. You want to make sure the interviewee isn't confused or sees you as being unclear. There are some good websites and threads on this site that list interview questions to prepare for. I've recently found a DPT student's blog and found a good list of questions to have prepared.

http://dptinnyc.blogspot.com/2012/05/questions-to-prepare-you-for-interview.html

Thank you so much for your helpful answer and reference link.

I am hopeful as students start going through some early interviews they may wish to share some of their personal experiences in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
JLynn2007,
This sounds like a good idea. I am a faculty member and admissions committee member at at PT school. Last year I posted the following in one of the forum. Maybe it will be of use to you. Good luck.
HughLee

I am a PT faculty member and a admissions commitete member of the admissions committee. I am not involved in setting up the interview groups.

I was asked through a personal message about our interviews by a poster on this site. I responded personally, but also thought that it would be useful to post my answer for all. I have added a little to my original message. Keep in mind that this is my perspective.

One general comment. Do not approach the interview as a quiz or test. See it as an opportunity to let us know about you, and why you will be an asset to our school and the PT profession.

I can tell you what I look for during an interview.
1. An applicant who is personable and confident. As a PT, you will have to work with other healthcare professionals, patients, clients, insurance companies, etc. Show that you have the ability to do this. Being nervous is okay as long as it does not interfere with the rest of the interview. We have had applicants in the middle of an answer get a little flustered, and ask if they can start from the beginning of their answer. We let them, and do not take off points for this (At least for the first time, and I do not remember anybody having to do this more than once). The interview is stressful, we recognize that, and so being a little nervous is not a bad thing. We also expect you to be nervous during your first in-class demonstration, lab practicals, clinical experiences, etc., and we expect you to be able to deal with it.

2. Look at all of the interviewers when you answer a question. One person will ask the question, but look at all. Smile when appropriate.

3a. Answer the question. Do not beat around the bush. If you are not sure of what the interviewers are looking for, ask them to repeat the question, or paraphrase the question back in your own words and ask if that is what they are looking for.

3b. And be specific. If you can bring up instances in your life or your observation hours, and DIRECTLY relate them to the question, that is good. Saying that you are interested in PT because you or a family member was helped by PT is good, but at some point in your life you were also helped by doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, secretaries, store clerks, etc. Why do you want to be a PT rather than one of those other professions?

3c. Do not be wordy. Most interviews are relatively short. Usually one generic question is along the lines of "Tell us about yourself". Or "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" Expect these type of questions, and have an answer in your head before the interview, but not sounding rehearsed. Most of us could go on for 5-10 minutes on this, and some much longer. But keep it relatively short so there is enough time for the rest of the questions. The best answer is short and sweet, that fully answers the question, and includes your reasoning or thinking behind your answer. I know that is somewhat contradictory, but just answering the question without letting us know something more about you is not the best.

4. The "Tell us about you" question is as much an icebreaker as anything else. The applicant is expected to know that this question is coming, and to have an answer to it. So it gets the applicant talking about something they know alot about. It also lets us know a little about you.

5. At each school, you will probably get a question that is unique and asks you to respond to a particular situation. What I am looking for is that you can pick out the different factors that are important in the situation. As an example (and not one that we use), when working in a supermarket you see a man walk out with a loaf of bread, and then see him giving the bread to an obviously hungry child. What do you do? What would you do if you see him in the store again a week later? Factors could include: stealling is wrong, the child needs the food, the man could be arrested and then what would happen with the child, does the store have a program to distribute food to the hungry, are their other sources of food, etc. There may not be a 'correct' answer to this question, we are more interested in how you think (superficial or deep), and can you support your choice.

6. We do not ask questions about specific PT practices. So no questions about whether you would use ultrasound on this patient and what parameters you would use. We expect that we will teach you all of that in PT school.

7. Know about all of the PT profession, not just the types of practices where you did your observation hours. Vision 2020 is a good resource. Where is the PT profession planning on going? Where do you see the future of PT, and what is your role in its future?

8. Our interviewers will not know your grades unless you talk about it in your essay, which they will have. They will not know if your GPA was a 4.0, or if you have the lowest GPA of all the applicants. We assume that you have the academic abilities to succeed in our program.

In general I look for an applicant who:
- has decent interpersonal skills
- knows all about themselves.
- knows about the profession of PT, and can tell me why it is the right choice for them
- If you are an AT or PTA or similar profession, be ready to explain why you want to go further and become a PT
- has goals and a plan
- can think somewhat well on their feet
- matches the mission of our school

At one place that I use to work, someone had put a qoute by Al Capone on their door.
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

Last edited:
HughLee,

Thank you so much for your response. This is great insight from the other side of the fence that many of us never get to hear about.

It is very helpful to my efforts and even had me thinking back to my PT school interview.