PT School Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDtoDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what your school schedules are like? I have been blown away by the amount of time we spend sitting in class/labs (NAU Flagstaff). Most days it's basically 8-5 with an hour for lunch. I remember some of the schools I interviewed at telling me their schedules, and they seemed to spend about half the time we do in class each week. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Our schedules are insane. Everyday is different--one of the reasons why we are given our day-to-day schedules in a 15 page packet at the beginning of each semester. The monstrosity doesn't even cover the class/lab/practice sessions/meetings/research that may be added on throughout the year. It's gotten better now that I'm close to the end of my second year. I remember the first summer semester... 8-5, 8-6, 8-7, 7-6, 7-7, or whatever. A few days, we had to be in school for 12 hours when things got cray cray. It totally depends on the school, but each program has a busy schedule for it's students!

Our schedules are insane. Everyday is different--one of the reasons why we are given our day-to-day schedules in a 15 page packet at the beginning of each semester. The monstrosity doesn't even cover the class/lab/practice sessions/meetings/research that may be added on throughout the year. It's gotten better now that I'm close to the end of my second year. I remember the first summer semester... 8-5, 8-6, 8-7, 7-6, 7-7, or whatever. A few days, we had to be in school for 12 hours when things got cray cray. It totally depends on the school, but each program has a busy schedule for it's students!

So I will be joining my program in the summer. I can understand that M-F, I'll be in class and right after i will study. But on most weekends do you get time to yourself? Considering there are no tests. I am thinking most students spends a total of 10 hours of studying during the weekend, and u get the sat/sun nights to rest or play.

Bottom line: I heard it is important to balance your social life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the 1st semester, we generally had class Mon - Thurs @ 8/9ish - 5/6ish with occasional weekend classes for electives we chose to take. Interspersed between that was our studying, practice sessions and social life.

I'm usually at school from 8am-7/8pm Mon-Thu, and then for a few hours on Friday morning. Even then I still have to study the rest of the afternoon. It's important to stay after classes to prepare for practicals in the lab. It never ends. Some trimesters are worse than others.

Ten hours of studying on the weekends? That's fine if there are no exams the following week, but the last weekend before finals I usually study 10 hours in one day. I'm not trying to exalt myself, but when you're trying to pass five classes and you're barely passing, you have to give your maximal effort.

Kevin

Im a first year...fall semester I rarely studied on weekends except for a few hours on Sunday nights for anatomy, if we had an exam on Monday then a little bit more. During the week I would study like an hour or 2 each night probably.

Spring Semester is definitely a lot harder and I usually study 3-4 hours Saturday and Sunday. The class schedule is 8-445pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Friday is 8-330pm and Wednesday there is no class but we have clinic all day every 3rd Wednesday. Its not all gloom and doom... I personally couldnt imagine studying 10 hours in one day.

Our schedule sounds pretty similar to what other have posted. At the beginning of spring we were 7:30/8:30 to 5 mon tues wed. Thurs and Fridays we'd get out by 2. Our class flip flops labs so we get a couple hours here and there. We also have research seminars during our lunch breaks spread throughout the semester but those were pretty interesting. Fall was pretty similar time wise. I usually spend about 3 hrs a day studying and around 5 to 6 per day on the weekends. I've found that balance has been important to stay motivated.

Last edited: