PT School Still Under Accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCtiger91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted into Wingate Universty (Jan. 2016), but have saw where they are still under accreditation. Anyone know if there has ever been a school that has failed to become accredited once underway? I will be in the 3rd class to go through if I decide to go there and I'll be making a visit on Wednesday if anyone has any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats! they seem to be doing very well. how did they notify you of your admission?

Do you mind sharing your stats? I am also interested in applying to Wingate but am waiting to hear if they will accept my anatomy/physiology courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 2 schools still in candidacy (SDSU, George Fox), and their first class graduates spring 2015. I asked both schools about accreditation, and they were both very confident they would become accredited. The admissions counselor from GFU said, "Institutions who have been granted Candidacy status have never been denied Accreditation." So chances are low, but it can still happen.

Doesn't mean you are out of luck if you graduate from an unaccredited program. These programs have deals with other universities so you can take extra classes (2 years?) at another school for the ability to sit for the NPTE exam.

Edit: Also, congrats on the acceptance! :)

I am starting at Wingate in January 2015. The program director started another program at Lynchburg College which has since been accredited. The program, faculty, and staff at Wingate are all amazing. When I visited after I was accepted the administrative assistant took me on a tour of the campus and the DPT facilities and introduced me to the faculty and staff and I met with the program director for about a half hour. They also set up a meeting with me in financial aid. I really like the program and campus. Congratulations on your acceptance, I hope to see you next year!

congrats! they seem to be doing very well. how did they notify you of your admission?

Phone call about a month after I applied, proceeded by a letter with deposit information later that week.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I am also interested in applying to Wingate but am waiting to hear if they will accept my anatomy/physiology courses.

Off the top of my head
USC Upstate
Exercise & Sport Science
GPA: 3.62
PreReq: 3.40
GRE: V-148 Q-158 W-4.0
+300 hours in two different PT settings

I am starting at Wingate in January 2015. The program director started another program at Lynchburg College which has since been accredited. The program, faculty, and staff at Wingate are all amazing. When I visited after I was accepted the administrative assistant took me on a tour of the campus and the DPT facilities and introduced me to the faculty and staff and I met with the program director for about a half hour. They also set up a meeting with me in financial aid. I really like the program and campus. Congratulations on your acceptance, I hope to see you next year!

Making my visit tomorrow. Thanks for the info.