PT school without bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtm34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am entering my senior year at Pitt as a rehabilitation science major, I'm planning on PT school but it just dawned on me that I have completed all my PT prereqs and i will spend this year doing nothing more than completing whats essentially my useless undergrad degree... are there any PT schools that will accept me I have over 90 credits, all my observation hours, and prereqs? appreciate any feedback

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, all schools require a bachelor's degree. One more year isn't gonna kill you. ;)

considering I could save 20+ thousand dollars i figured it was worth a shot

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they have changed their requirements, Wayne State in Michigan did not require a bachelors. I don't know of any others though.

I'm starting PT school this fall at the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas and I do not have a bachelors degree. Like you said I just completed my pre-reqs, volunteer hours etc...

Hi

I'm from New York City and i know of two here that do not require a Bachelor's Degree. That would be Suny Downstate located in Brooklyn & Mercy College located in Dobbs Ferry, New york.

I'm starting PT school this fall at the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas and I do not have a bachelors degree. Like you said I just completed my pre-reqs, volunteer hours etc...

am thinking of applying there i would wnat to know , how you got in and your specs... please i need information

am thinking of applying there i would want to know , how you got in and your specs... please i need information, always wanted to be a pt got alot of credit hrs was into pharmacyand chnaged my mind ...

Loma Linda University in Loma Linda, CA accepts without a bachelors. I am starting the program next month without one. You need to have 12 upper division units along with all the general pre-reqs.
http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/pt/dptentry.page?#prereqs
Option one BS/DPT is what you need.

how competitive was it to get in , am curious , i dont have a bachelors but have about 100 credit hours of college work and want to get into physical therapy

I'd say pretty competitive. First you apply through PTCAS, then there is a secondary application with a bunch of essays you have to write specifically for Loma Linda. If they like you from there, then you have an interview. They typically accept 65-70 people though which is a decent amount compared to some programs. In relation to GPA, I believe you have to have at least a 3.4, but I may be wrong.(that may be the required science GPA, can't quite remember) But ya know, the higher the better. Definitely worth looking into though. Not only are you saving some money but also cut out about 2 or more yearsof your education life if you need to get the bachelors. Especially if you really know that PT is what you want to do

Hi I am entering my senior year at Pitt as a rehabilitation science major, I'm planning on PT school but it just dawned on me that I have completed all my PT prereqs and i will spend this year doing nothing more than completing whats essentially my useless undergrad degree... are there any PT schools that will accept me I have over 90 credits, all my observation hours, and prereqs? appreciate any feedback

I'm kind of surprised by this, that you could get a master's or doctorate degree w/o a bachelor's degree. That just doesn't seem to make too much sense, but I guess it is what it is. I imagine it's set up that you get some form of a BS while in the PT program, but I'm not sure. Below is a link of requirements for PT programs.

http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...APTE/Programs/Accredited/PrerequisiteGrid.pdf

I know, I was surprised too but apparently the LLU DPT program has more units than the other DPT programs. With the correct pre-reqs and those that amount to 12 upper division units, there are enough units to graduate with both the bachelors and doctorate.