pt student with lower back pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearcats

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to a recent sports injury in April, I have been diagnosed with degenerating disc disease in L5-S1 level, and an annual tear in one of the spinal disc. Though I am feeling much better since the injury, and have gone through PT treatments to reduce the lower back pain. However, I still experience minor lower back pain from time to time, and do feel I am physically weaker on my back.

From what I heard that PT is a very physically demanding work. I am concerned whether I will be physically capable to handle PT school and the profession in the future with my back problem. I am trying to avoid improper lifting and avoid using my back as much as I can. Will this limit my ability to perform certain pt examinations and tasks?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Due to a recent sports injury in April, I have been diagnosed with degenerating disc disease in L5-S1 level, and an annual tear in one of the spinal disc. Though I am feeling much better since the injury, and have gone through PT treatments to reduce the lower back pain. However, I still experience minor lower back pain from time to time, and do feel I am physically weaker on my back.

From what I heard that PT is a very physically demanding work. I am concerned whether I will be physically capable to handle PT school and the profession in the future with my back problem. I am trying to avoid improper lifting and avoid using my back as much as I can. Will this limit my ability to perform certain pt examinations and tasks?

Thanks a lot!

In some settings the PT has to do more lifting than in others. Outpatient ortho is low on the lifting, pediatrics and neuro patients are more dependent and therefore more tempting to move manually.

There are devices for much of the lifting that needs to be done such as transfers. If your back is not a disaster and you use proper mechanics, and choose the right setting, you should be fine.

Ditto what truthseeker said. If you're careful, you shouldn't have any worries, regardless of what area you choose to practice in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having worked in SCI rehab for 3 years, I can tell you that I would be wary of doing inpatient rehab with a bad back. Stick to outpatient ortho if you still want to do PT.

Thanks to all!!! I was hoping once I am in PT school, I will have better knowledge on how to take care back pain. Hopefully, it will help to improve my back condition. Are there a lot of demand for the outpatient ortho? Thanks!

Is outpatient ortho the only safe place for older PTs to work? Do any of you know physical therapists practicing until retirement age/70ish? Or does the career demand early retirement?

Is outpatient ortho the only safe place for older PTs to work? Do any of you know physical therapists practicing until retirement age/70ish? Or does the career demand early retirement?

Few PTs work that long but it does happen. Often they are in OP ortho. Sometimes they get into teaching/research. Cardiac Rehab is not terribly demanding. Skin/burn units are less "lifty" and more ''picky" and "Stretchy"