PT vs Orthopedics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevenseas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, newbie here. I'm am undergrad who's been very indecisive about what career choice to make! I've had my mind set towards PT for many, many years. Upon learning more about orthopedic surgery, I've been leaning towards this profession as it offers the perfect amount of specialization for a musculoskeletal junkie like me, and also includes surgery in the package (something I'm very interested in!). Yet, I still crave the rehab/techniques that PT provides, along with the one on one time with the patient, which ortho just can't compare with. Clearly, these are two very different paths, and I unfortunately can only choose one. I don't know what's right for me, and don't even know if there's anything else out there that would better suit my interests. Please give me some insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, newbie here. I'm am undergrad who's been very indecisive about what career choice to make! I've had my mind set towards PT for many, many years. Upon learning more about orthopedic surgery, I've been leaning towards this profession as it offers the perfect amount of specialization for a musculoskeletal junkie like me, and also includes surgery in the package (something I'm very interested in!). Yet, I still crave the rehab/techniques that PT provides, along with the one on one time with the patient, which ortho just can't compare with. Clearly, these are two very different paths, and I unfortunately can only choose one. I don't know what's right for me, and don't even know if there's anything else out there that would better suit my interests. Please give me some insight!

If you matriculate to a physical therapy program in the current climate....you'll be guaranteed to be able to work with outpatient orthopaedics as long as you complete school. Only attend schools that you can pay back without using a federal program as a crutch if possible. If anatomy and progression is something you like more then this would be good for you.

If you want orthopaedic surgery then you'll have to be near the top in your class for medical school and need to be okay with the possibility of only practicing pediatrics or internal medicine if it's too competitive. If precise technical skills or disease processes (if not competitive enough) work better for you then this is up your alley.

Make sure you understand how much stress and stimulation you need to stay happy practicing something. Medicine is significantly higher

Last edited:
Last thing....if rehab is more your thing and you want to utilize your education to the highest ability with imaging interpretation and less legal red tape blocking you due to business interests then check out Baylor DPT. You would matriculate and serve as a therapist directly in the army afterwards full ride.

think about the lifestyle of PT vs ortho. that was what made me choose PT. I didn't want a beeper, I didn't want to miss my kids' events, I didn't want to be at work at 3am. No amount of money or prestige was worth that to me.

Reactions: 1 user