PTA and DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychadelicTech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I a second degree student that was in the midst of my nursing prerequisites. I am feeling a calling to PTA. My only concern is with nursing can explore a lot of various fields, but knowing me I stick with psych ha. I love to exercise and run.

I would think once a PTA go for a Master's in Exercise and Physiology see if can look into becoming an athletic trainer.

I am also interested in being a DPT.

However, I am a year away from 30 and I want to start a family. Want to be done and have a stable career.

I know PTA to PT programs are gone, but is it still possible to attend a DPT program while a PTA?

Appreciate any insight and feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

You are mixing up a done of different career paths here.

A PTA is an associate's degree. Yes, you can get an associate's degree and then later go to DPT school. It won't necessarily help you in admissions nor will it cut down the amount of school you have to do. You still have to do the full DPT program. Sure you could attend the DPT program while being a PTA but you won't actually be able to work very much while in the DPT program. If you want to be a PTA, go for it now. If you want to be a DPT, go for it now. It's a much longer route to do the PTA and then the DPT if you know that's where you want to end up anyway.

An athletic trainer is also a separate degree. You could get that now at a bachelor's level. You do not need to be a PTA to become an athletic trainer.

I would recommend shadowing all 3 fields to explore your options.

OP - I suggest you also take a look at OTA/OT. There are several bridge programs for OTAs who want to become OTs; unlike PTAs going for a DPT, you would not have to repeat all the classes. A friend of mine got her OTA, and is now working towards her OT with a specialization in hand therapy. She seems to like it a lot. I agree with starrsgirl, talk to lots of folks in the business and shadow them before you commit to a specific degree. Mistakes can be costly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the OTA, but few jobs in the area and by 2025 will be required to have a Doctorate degree. Also most and actually all OT programs in my State are private $100K up programs.

I was thinking AT as a supplemental to being a PTA.

I know there is maybe 3 part time DPT programs I did find.

Curious if PTA is a bad career choice over all?

Thanks again.

Meant OT not OTA can't edit for some reason.
Additionally, OTA job's are very few in my area with plenty of PTA jobs and increasingly BSN not ADN job's.