PTA License without PTA degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJonesrun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I start my DPT in May (yay!) in a PT program at NSU (leaves time for work). My current job is supposed to be eliminated by June 2012. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the PTA license exam with a year of DPT but no PTA degree? I have a BA and MEd, and tend to do very well on standardized exams. I live in Florida, if that makes a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I start my DPT in May (yay!) in a PT program at NSU (leaves time for work). My current job is supposed to be eliminated by June 2012. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the PTA license exam with a year of DPT but no PTA degree? I have a BA and MEd, and tend to do very well on standardized exams. I live in Florida, if that makes a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have always wondered the same thing, right now I am majoring in Interdisciplinary Health and Rehabilitation Sciences - Pre-Physical Therapy option at my University and I have noticed that a lot of the PTA programs nearby have curriculums very similar to the classes I have been taking so far for my undergrad degree. I've wondered if I can just take the licensing exam without the PTA degree itself.

This is from the APTA website:

"Programs are accredited by CAPTE, which assures quality in physical therapy education. Graduation from an accredited program is currently required for eligibility to sit for the licensure examination for physical therapist assistants in all states in which licensure is required. Licensure/certification is not required in Colorado or Hawaii."

I hope this helps answer your question. If not I would go visit the APTA website and look around a bit;a lot of good information on there.

Hi,

Thanks!

Wouldn't make any sense. You go through a PTA program to "train" to be a PTA. You go through a PT program to "train" to be a PT. No where in the PT program do you learn to be a PTA, and it's not like you learn everything the PTA needs to know in the 1st year.