PTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mborg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in changing careers (corp world to physical therapy). I have been saying this for quite a while, but finally in the right mindset to start taking pre-req's and apply. I am 30 years old, and realistically wouldn't be able to apply to a program (DPT) till 34 years old, since I plan on taking the pre-req's at nights while I work.

I've been thinking that pursuing a PTA degree may be a better option, I would only need to take one pre-req, and admission into a program does not seem nearly as competitive. Any feedback on this as an option??? Seems like it would cost a lot less, and the pay isn't that much different... I'm not getting any younger. I do not have any kids, just a long-term gf who has a great job and could help support financially for a little while if needed...

I would love to eventually become a physical therapist, but there are a few weekend programs in my area where I could attend while working as a PTA. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in Business management.

What do you all think? Crazy? I am coming here, because friends and family think I am nuts to leave what they consider to be a good job, but I am just not crazy about the corp world at all!! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I am just starting up a DPT program this fall and I will be 33 when I start with a two year old and a very understanding husband. I am also doing a career switch from Geology/Environmental Science. The thought of all the pre-refs and shadowing was daunting for me and I also looked into PTA programs. I think the main reasons for choosing a DPT over PTA were (in no particular order), greater income, more prestige/respect, and more flexibility within the practice for different areas of focus as well as moving up the ladder. I've heard that it is hard for PTAs to advance very far up the career ladder. Those are just a few of the thoughts I had.

I also don't think you will find a single PT who thinks you are crazy. The best thing you can do for yourself is go after your dreams and what makes you happy. I suggest doing as much shadowing of both DPTs and PTAs in as many settings as possible to see what you like the best and what fits for you and your life.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am also a career changer, and debated between PTA (less schooling=less debt, faster degree=working sooner=more money) and PT. I ultimately chose to get my DPT because a family friend of mine is a PT and after shadowing and spending some time with her, she told me she felt that I would be selling myself short if I went PTA, and that I would eventually want to have freedom to do what I wanted and that would be somewhat unrealistic with a PTA degree. Since, I was in my late 20s, the longer schooling didn't seem too bad. And, I also chose a program that was 2.5 years in length, instead of 3. However, I had very supportive parents/boyfriend who paid my rent/expenses while I went back to school. I've been officially practicing as a PT for 6 weeks (woot! haha) and I am so glad that I stuck through it all!

One of my better friends in the program I was in, was a PTA to DPT... The reasons she was unsatisfied with being a PTA were similar to what's been said-- not a lot of freedom, having to answer to someone else, not being able to call shots, and she always wanted to know "why" something was being done and had a lot of questions that she wanted answered.

But, you need to decide what is right for you (I have a friend from HS who had his bachelors in athletic training, masters in student affairs and then went for his PTA... I assume he went PTA because he was in his early 30s and it would help him get money on the table faster) and seriously, I recommend a pros/cons list. List everything-- prices, incomes, job opportunities, etc. Sometimes when you physically write everything down it's easier to see patterns in your thinking and mind set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I reached out to the local community college, and will be signing up for the one pre-req I need for PTA. I think at this point, I am going to do that and apply for PTA programs, while also taking pre-reqs for DPT (if I decide to go that route after taking a few pre-req's)... I do think that ultimately I would want to be a PT, but I do not know I can do it financially... It is comforting that others out there are in similar situations...

Thanks for the feedback. I reached out to the local community college, and will be signing up for the one pre-req I need for PTA. I think at this point, I am going to do that and apply for PTA programs, while also taking pre-reqs for DPT (if I decide to go that route after taking a few pre-req's)... I do think that ultimately I would want to be a PT, but I do not know I can do it financially... It is comforting that others out there are in similar situations...
Good luck with your journey! It can be a long one, but it is rewarding in the end! :)