PTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mborg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in changing careers (corp world to physical therapy). I have been saying this for quite a while, but finally in the right mindset to start taking pre-req's and apply. I am 30 years old, and realistically wouldn't be able to apply to a program (DPT) till 34 years old, since I plan on taking the pre-req's at nights while I work.

I've been thinking that pursuing a PTA degree may be a better option, I would only need to take one pre-req, and admission into a program does not seem nearly as competitive. Any feedback on this as an option??? Seems like it would cost a lot less, and the pay isn't that much different... I'm not getting any younger. I do not have any kids, just a long-term gf who has a great job and could help support financially for a little while if needed...

I would love to eventually become a physical therapist, but there are a few weekend programs in my area where I could attend while working as a PTA. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in Business management.

What do you all think? Crazy? I am coming here, because friends and family think I am nuts to leave what they consider to be a good job, but I am just not crazy about the corp world at all!! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a licensed PRA and have been practicing for almost 5 years now and make about 72,000 a year, not bad at all and that is less of prn job every now and again. I love being a PTA but after a while it gets annoying when I am aware of what is appropriate for the patient but have to rely on a PT to modify or change a plan of care! So that's why I am trying to pursue the DPT. Otherwise I'm happy. The process is probably as competitive as DPT and not easy to get through but very doable! Go for it, you may like it and you will be an even more excellent therapist when you go for DPT when compared to those who just go in straight

If your end goal is to be a PT, then I think now is the best time to do it (instead of first doing PTA and extending the process). I started PT school at 37, and there are a few people in my program who are older than me. Don't let age stop you if that's what you really want to do. You're going to age anyway, so might as well do it with the career that you want :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go the PTA route. Whenever I work with PTA and PTA students, they all express how glad they are to not have to do all of the paperwork that PTs have to do. They seem less stressed too! Seriously the paperwork is bonkers. As a PTA, you have less schooling and less debt. You can stick more to treatments and less documentation.
At our main hospital, the PTs only do evals and reevals in acute care. The PTAs do all of the treatment. I don't particularly like that setup because I would like to treat my own patients, but the upper management believes this to be the most cost effective approach. So if you want to treat patients with less paperwork and less stress, then go for PTA.

Thanks all for the input and advice! I am not 100% sure which path I will pursue, but will at the very least, I'll be taking A&P next semester (only pre-req I need for most of the PTA programs I've looked at, whereas 1 of 8 or 9 pre-req's for DPT). Also, going to try to get more shadowing with both PTA's and PTs.
It seems that a PTA is better for me now, however, if I look at the long-term, I think a PT is more suitable. Decisions, decisions....