PTCAS 2017-2018 Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbaxter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I plan on starting to write my essay for this cycle this weekend and needed some help. The question, as most of you may already know is "what is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program". I've gotten mixed signals from different people, so I was hoping you all might be able to clarify it for me.

When writing, should the central focus of the essay be about the PTCAS topic, and only address anything else as it pertains to said topic? OR, can the essay be about anything (our experiences, what we have learned shadowing, etc.) as long as we have addressed the PTCAS topic somewhere in the essay?

Thanks,
Zach

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I plan on starting to write my essay for this cycle this weekend and needed some help. The question, as most of you may already know is "what is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program". I've gotten mixed signals from different people, so I was hoping you all might be able to clarify it for me.

When writing, should the central focus of the essay be about the PTCAS topic, and only address anything else as it pertains to said topic? OR, can the essay be about anything (our experiences, what we have learned shadowing, etc.) as long as we have addressed the PTCAS topic somewhere in the essay?

Thanks,
Zach

I stuck to the prompt and answered their question throughout the essay, but I wove in personal stuff to go along with my point. I know some people did the latter (mostly ignored the prompt and focused on the "personal" bit) and I strongly disagree with that.

Agree I strongly disagree with ignoring the prompt. I think that sends a message that you don't care, and you only want to talk about you not following instructions. I stuck to the prompt only (but pulled from life experiences without talking in first person), and pulled more personally when I did school specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on examining the question through various anecdotal stories explaining life experiences that offer insight into qualities that are beneficial for a PT.

I will of course a little bit of color commentary along the way to keep it interesting....

Good luck!

Hey all,

Thanks,
Zach

Just answer the question, especially if you are applying to a school that interviews. Then all of your personal stories can be told in the interview of you really want to share them. Remember, most of the people reading your statement work in a uni. Imagine turning in a paper that was not on the assigned topic. That would not be well received. This prompt is tough because everyone writes the exact same thing. Really. But when it was 'why do you want to be a PT' everyone wrote the same thing. So just answer the question and make it easy to read. And grammar and spelling errors will be FAR more memorable than content, but not memorable in the way you want.

I based my essay on how a long time personal experience mirrored qualities found on APTA's site as professional qualities and wove in anecdotals to support that point. I do not claim to have answered in the only manner possible, and I am sure other people have had better ideas and essays, but I did get into or invited to interview (and then I declined the interview) to all but one school I applied to. (Applied to 10) Many of these were competitive state schools, and two were very well respected private research universities in the top ten for whatever the rankings are worth. So I don't see how weaving your personal experiences in is straying from the topic. Honestly, I believe it is more the way to go then a straight up discussion of professionalism. Just my opinion based on my experience. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user