PTCAS Disciplinary Violation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTdg109

Reaction score
Need some advice on explaining a disciplinary violation I had in my undergraduate program. Without getting into too many details, I was expelled from my undergraduate program in 2014 for a drug related offense. I went on to complete my studies at another university in the area, and the ensuing legal process ultimately resulted in dismissed charges. Needless to say, I left that life behind me immediately, sought help, and have changed drastically in the last 6 years. In fact, I believe that experience ultimately led to me developing a passion for PT.

Any ideas if PT schools generally consider this a deal-breaker? Also, does anyone have advice as far what to say and not to say in the question that asks about disciplinary violations? Lastly, would mentioning overcoming substance abuse in the personal statement be beneficial to me as long as it ties into answering the prompt? Any advice whatsoever would help. Thank you!!!

Other than this, my application is fairly competitive:

GPA: 3.56
Pre-req GPA: around 3.6 depending on school
GRE: 161 Math, 156 Verbal, 3.0 AW
3500 + hours of observation in multiple settings and fantastic LOR's

Think I have a solid chance of getting in somewhere??

Members don't see this ad.

You may or may not get in. You could write a supplemental essay explaining what happened, and why it would never happen again.

But that won’t be your biggest problem. The biggest problem is finding a clinical rotation or even sitting for the boards. I’ve known of students who completed their coursework but never finished PT school because no clinical site wanted that student