PTCAS ESSAY 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Have.A.Gait.Day

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PROMPT:
Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experience with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career.

I need some help brainstorming. Is there anyone willing to share generally what they wrote about.

I did come up with a few thoughts.

One of which touches upon diversity and representation. Any thoughts on that? Do you advise me not to because it may be a touchy subject?

The other thought was just my experience taking an advance anatomy class that confirmed my love for anatomy. My love for anatomy is how I ended up choosing PT anyways.

Opinions, thoughts, what did you write about? Or would write about (for my people already accepted/graduated/wokring, congratulations).
 
I've been advising people who need help brainstorming to imagine running into a stranger on the street. They ask, "What got you interested in PT?" What do you say? It's a good starting point. Also, most PT schools are trying to become more diverse right now, so I think mentioning that in an appropriate way could be good.
 
Both diversity and anatomy are great topics, but make sure you answer the question of why PT in specific. Diversity and anatomy are both important in all the healthcare fields, so what is it about PT? Things like you love the musculoskeletal system in anatomy (more specific to PT).
 
That is a hard question to answer succinctly, I am a DPT and my answer probably changes by the day. But I do think talking about things that have persona meaning to you is always a good idea. Don't let the question control you, control the question. Ask yourself "how/where does this question give me an opportunity to talk about what I love and why I stand out". Good Luck!