PTCAS essay vs. Interest essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

allywally15

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the general PTCAS essay (APTA mission statement.... etc.) get sent to every school that we apply to through PTCAS? If a school has a specific essay topic for an interest letter, will they also read the general PTCAS one? How similar or different should they be?

Thanks in advance!
 
Yes it does, and each school will probably read the general essay. I would assume that they will read both - you don't want to include exact stories or similar phrases.

I copied parts of some essays for individual program essays - so if two schools wanted an additional essay, I didn't rewrite 100% of it because parts of it were relevant for both essays.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure they'll read both, but how heavily each one is weighted probably varies by school.

I applied at UPS last year, and they place no weight on the PTCAS essay, though I'm sure that is pretty unusual.